JD 325 Drive Belt Change?

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change? #1  

k1500z71

I have a 1997 JD 325 17hp garden tractor and it looks like the traction drive belt needs to be changed (I can feel some deep cracks in it and it's starting to make some belt noise). The Operator's Manual shows how to change all of the mower drive belts, but not the traction drive belt. Is this something a do-it-yourselfer can do or did they leave it out of the Operator's Manual because it is complex?

Thanks in advance

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change? #2  
I just did this to my 345 and posted on the Yahoo Groups site for Deere garden tractors. It's not impossible, but it is VERY difficult to get the new belt on. If you take your time you should be able to do it. Just make sure you remove as many pulleys as possible (especially the tension pulley) and be gentle getting the belt over the fan on top of the trans (there is not much room to work around the trans). The Tech Manual mentions removing the pto but if you don't get it back on correctly you can cause more problems so I opted to try it with the pto still mounted.

It can be done but you definitely need some patience!!

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change?
Thanks. I actually just finished mine a few minutes ago. The dealer said I could either remove the PTO or remove the body and take the fan off of the transmission. I started to remove the PTO (I got the bolt out with an impact wrench) but couldn't figure out how to get it off the rest of the way so I just put the bolt back on (I just "bumped" it tight with the impact wrench since I couldn't figure out how to keep the engine from turning; hopefully that's good enough).

The rear body came off with 6 bolts (2 at the bottom front of each fender and the two at the top on either side of the gas cap) You do NOT need to remove the seat from the body; it stays attached to the body assembly. I lifted the body off, then carefully lifted the fuel tank and set it off to the side (you don't need to disconnect the fuel lines). One nut holds the fan on the transmission pulley.

I removed the tension spring and the pulley on the tensioner and loosened (but didn't remove) the idler pulley closest to the PTO. I unplugged the electrical connection to the PTO near the frame then removed the belt.

I installed the new belt starting with the engine pulley and worked my way back. I reinstalled the tensioner pulley then wrapped the belt around the transmission pulley, then tightened everything up. You need to leave the idler pulley nearest to the PTO loose (barely hanging by the bolt) until you get the belt around the others or you won't have enough slack.

Aside from my false start with the PTO approach, the whole thing took about an hour.

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change? #4  
Sounds good. I forgot to tell you that you didn't have to fully remove the tensioner pulley -- you can just loosen it and let it slide in it's slot. I had the same problem with the engine turning when I tried to remove the PTO so I decided against it. I didn't try removing the rear and hydro fan but may try that the next time I have to change the belt!

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change? #5  
OK guys, excellent work in your R & R of your traction belt. I have a JD 335 which likely is very similar in this area. How in the world did you guys unhook the tension spring??? That is a strong spring & I couldn't get in there to get either end of the spring off its anchor point. HELP!!!

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change? #6  
Opps..

These steps are out of order..

Put SPRING on first, then belt on the trans pulley.
Go back under tractor, and reconnect idle pulleys SPRING (pulley bracket first, then stretch and connect to round frame)
It will have more tension, so you gotta get a glove and man up!
Install belt by starting at the front engine clutch/top pulley (pull electrical cord thru first!! then around entire clutch assmbly to top pulley,
Thread belt in around/through the other idler pulleys and guides (BE PATIENT, TAKE YOUR TIME), ending up at the trans pulley at the rear.
From the top of the trans/pulley, start the belt on one side while spinning the pulley with your hands (watch your fingers!!)
The belt will stretch enough, and pop on!

Test drive belt by grabbing/moving the belt with both hands and moving all pulleys, clutch, brackets, check for clearance and smooth operation.
Put trans. fan back on. Use crow bar, etc. to wedge pulley against trans while tightening nut.
Put rear body/seat back on.
Then,
Drive Test the drive belt (fwd, rev, wide open, incline) BEFORE re-installing the mower deck.

Drive Test the drive belt (fwd, rev, wide open, incline) BEFORE re-installing the mower deck

/ JD 325 Drive Belt Change? #7  
kcarp
You can use the "edit post" feature to correct your first post, and use it again to "delete" your second.. or whatever order you want to end up with one "correct" post.
:welcome: to TBN and chipping in with your experience and advice.