Deere 318 starter issue

/ Deere 318 starter issue #1  

cef2lion

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4410, JD455
My brother's 318 was having starter issues. IGN switch looked ok. Starter would spin but not always turn over the engine or make a loud noise enagaging the flywheel.

The 318 has over 3500 hours but running good. I pulled the motor to get at the starter. It is an older 318 but has the solenoid style starter. It has the relay kit that was released for it. I was suprised it didn't have the bendix starter.

JD wants a lot for a new starter. We are not sure the condition of the starter. Is there a way to test it on the bench before taking it to a shop. I have seen them online for about $125. Could it be the solenoid not working or gummed up? I don't know the history of the 318 other then it was bought a long time ago used. Not sure if the starter was ever serviced.

Suggestions on ways to proceed.

Craig

/ Deere 318 starter issue #2  
you could use a set of booster cables to check it. screw the nut back on the post that your battery cable attaches to. then put the red clamp on it. make sure it is not touching any part of the starter other than the post. then take the black clamp and touch it to a bare metal place on the starter. it should kick the flywheel drive gear out from the starter. if not you have a bad starter or drive gear. HOLD ON THE STARTER TIGHT. BETTER IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE HELP, TO HOLD IT. ZMAN

/ Deere 318 starter issue #3  
my dad had an issue like that w/ his 318 ended up being a crack in the metal where the starter bolts up and the gear engages to spin the motor. he had to have it welded up and it worked fine after that, until the motor finally gave in w/ over 3500 hrs on it.

/ Deere 318 starter issue
I found the repair referenced. We looked at the mouting points and didn't see any cracks. Going to look closter this weekend.

We found a mounting point on the frame and bolted starter there and connected all the wires. We engaged the starter with the ign key. It is pushing the gear forward and spinning each time pretty consistant. The gear doesn't retract and letting off the key. Should gear pull back or does the flywheel spinning motion do that.

I posted over on that JD yahoo group but the post has yet to show up.

Craig

It appears the gear on the starter is slipping. Might be the clutch part of the starter.

The engine cover is labeled as B43G. Looking online for a replacement starter. AM109263 is listed in JD parts for P218G onan engine. AM109172 is listed for the B43G. I was looking in ebay and when I search for B43G starter I see a lot of starters listed but the picture shows no solenoid attached like the one we have.

Craig

/ Deere 318 starter issue #7  
Late model B engines used P series starters. As long as the starter you have bolts to the bottom of the cylinder block and not the oil pan buy the one for a P series engine.

My brother dropped starter off at a repair shop that my JD dealer recommended. He replaced the starter drive, a bushing and a bearing for $75. I think we are good to go now.

Craig

/ Deere 318 starter issue #9  
As far as your question about the starter gear retracting, it is the the engine cranking once you release the key switch that spins the starter drive gear backwards to its original position. it nevers hurts to put a little powdered graphite on the shaft it runs on. nothing sticky like wd- 40 or similar it attracts dirt. Graphite doesnt.

/ Deere 318 starter issue #10  
My brother's 318 was having starter issues. IGN switch looked ok. Starter would spin but not always turn over the engine or make a loud noise enagaging the flywheel.

The 318 has over 3500 hours but running good. I pulled the motor to get at the starter. It is an older 318 but has the solenoid style starter. It has the relay kit that was released for it. I was suprised it didn't have the bendix starter.

JD wants a lot for a new starter. We are not sure the condition of the starter. Is there a way to test it on the bench before taking it to a shop. I have seen them online for about $125. Could it be the solenoid not working or gummed up? I don't know the history of the 318 other then it was bought a long time ago used. Not sure if the starter was ever serviced.

Suggestions on ways to proceed.

Craig

I need some information and tips on pulling the enging to remove my starter on my 318. Does the enging have to be completely pulled out, or can it be tilted somehow. Either way-i need basic info on what to do- thanks.