Opinions on JD GT245

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #1  

Suburban B

Tractor
JD GT245 20 HP Hydro Auto; JD STX38 12.5 HP 5-Speed Manual
I am considering buying a used 2004 Model GT245 with a 48" deck. The owner posts that it has 120 hours, well-maintained, and excellent condition. I plan on checking it out and giving it a test. Before, I do that, I am looking for your thoughts.

I have about an acre of grass on my 1.5 + lot. This is for my suburban but not a perfectly flat, manicured lawn. I have just a few slight hills (5-10 degrees typical) and the usual obstacles of trees, beds, swingset, etc. Parts of my lawn can stay a bit wet in the early spring and after heavy rain, and I have experienced some yard damage with my STX-38. But that is forgiven for a 12.5 HP entry level rider.

My primary use is grass cutting, but I do a bit more. My main concern is that I pull a DR 9.0 Premier Leaf and Lawn Vac several times a summer and more in the fall (guessing 250-300 pound max. load). The one for sale also comes with a garden utility cart and an 80lb spreader. I would use both. If this, or whatever machine could take it, I would probably get a plug or tyne aerator in the future. I have no plans for snow removal or tilling . For the money, I am leaning towards a used machine with enough torque, traction, and a quality transmission.

JD's Riding Mower Selector suggest that I step up to x500 series, which I think is driven primarily by the selection of sometimes pulling heavy loads.

What is the track record of the GT245? Any major concerns or kudos? Do you know, off-hand, what replaced the GT245? Was it the the GX 300 and then the X300 series, or am I way off? Do you thinkg that this GT245 will match my needs and be reliable for another 5-10 years with regular maintenance? I'd like to know if I should be focused on something bigger like a GT3XX, GT4XX, GT5XX, or GX (300-500). Does anyone think that an L-Model would work.

I know that I have thrown out a lot of information/questions, but I don't want to throw my money away on a non-returnable and inadequate tractor. Your experience is appreciated.

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #2  
This is kind of a short answer, but from what you are describing, the GT 245 will do just fine. If I recall correctly, the 245 had the Kawasaki motor in it and ran excellent for general yard chores. As long as you aren't planning on doing any ground-breaking activities, you will be fine with the GT.

/ Opinions on JD GT245
Yes. It has a Kawasaki V-Twin 22HP. I don't plan on doing any tilling or hauling trees.

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #4  
I have a GT 225, which is smaller. I have wheel weights and a very hilly yard. It easilly handles an aerator, dethatcher and 17 CU ft trailer. I have a bagger and use front wheel weights with it in order to maintain steering on hills. The 225 has a 16 HP Kohler, which is smaller than the 245, but I believe the rest of the tractor to be the same. Really heavy-duty rear-end, front wheel bearing, heavy frame, etc.

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #5  
Some JDs had A plastic bearing in the engine that failed early/often and was abour 1000/1200 to replace.
Just be sure the one you're considering don't have that situation.
I am considering buying a used 2004 Model GT245 with a 48" deck. The owner posts that it has 120 hours, well-maintained, and excellent condition. I plan on checking it out and giving it a test. Before, I do that, I am looking for your thoughts.

I have about an acre of grass on my 1.5 + lot. This is for my suburban but not a perfectly flat, manicured lawn. I have just a few slight hills (5-10 degrees typical) and the usual obstacles of trees, beds, swingset, etc. Parts of my lawn can stay a bit wet in the early spring and after heavy rain, and I have experienced some yard damage with my STX-38. But that is forgiven for a 12.5 HP entry level rider.

My primary use is grass cutting, but I do a bit more. My main concern is that I pull a DR 9.0 Premier Leaf and Lawn Vac several times a summer and more in the fall (guessing 250-300 pound max. load). The one for sale also comes with a garden utility cart and an 80lb spreader. I would use both. If this, or whatever machine could take it, I would probably get a plug or tyne aerator in the future. I have no plans for snow removal or tilling . For the money, I am leaning towards a used machine with enough torque, traction, and a quality transmission.

JD's Riding Mower Selector suggest that I step up to x500 series, which I think is driven primarily by the selection of sometimes pulling heavy loads.

What is the track record of the GT245? Any major concerns or kudos? Do you know, off-hand, what replaced the GT245? Was it the the GX 300 and then the X300 series, or am I way off? Do you thinkg that this GT245 will match my needs and be reliable for another 5-10 years with regular maintenance? I'd like to know if I should be focused on something bigger like a GT3XX, GT4XX, GT5XX, or GX (300-500). Does anyone think that an L-Model would work.

I know that I have thrown out a lot of information/questions, but I don't want to throw my money away on a non-returnable and inadequate tractor. Your experience is appreciated.

/ Opinions on JD GT245
How would I be able to tell if this particular machine came with that plastic bearing in the engine? Is there a serial number pattern? Deck color?

All that I know is that it is advertised a 2004 yr GT245 with a 22- HP Kawasaki V-Twin. I think that he means 20 HP, as that is what I have seen advertised elsewhere.

Does anyone else have any suggestions about this plastic bearing issue?

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #7  
He is speaking of the plastic gear on the cam in the older Kaw motors. Those were changed to metal around 2000.

I have a friend who has 3 acres and cuts it with a gt245. He has almost 2,000 hours on the tractor. Its starting to get tired, but it has served him well.

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #8  
Sounds like tractor should be fine for your use. If traction is a problem you could put a set of chains on rear tires. Father in law ran chains on his MF1655 with turf tires for close to 30 yrs.,Put on Ag tires now only uses chains for plowing snow. If concerned about chain life or tear on lawn . Same chains for all those years,Car chains made to fit his wheels. Very little damage to lawn compared to mowing with the ag tires.

/ Opinions on JD GT245 #9  
It should handle your lawn without issues and pull the 300 lbs too. I don't think anyone here can guarantee the life span of a lawnmower sight unseen though.

I wouldn't pull a heavy cart over wet spots if avoidable and I am sure you know that already.

Steve

/ Opinions on JD GT245
Thanks for all of the posts. I pulled the trigger last week and will be bringing it home on Sunday, 9-27-09. It was in great shape and very well maintained. This will be a big improvement over my current JD. It's getting late in the season to give a full report back on the mowing, but I'm sure that I will use it a bunch this fall for cleanup and hauling.