1988 JD 318 starter solenoid

/ 1988 JD 318 starter solenoid #1  

RWeb2009

1988 318 with non-bendix starter (regular starter, I guess, with the solenoid attached to the side of it). Anyway, wouldn't start - just click. I replaced ignition switch and got a new starter improvement kit and neither helped. Question: I jumped it from the from the + on the battery to the starter and it turned and cranked up.

Does this mean the starter is okay but the solenoid is bad? Can you replace just the solenoid? Can they be rebuilt?

And lastly, do I just undo the two bolts on the back of the solenoid to get it out? Sorry, but I've never taken one apart before and don't want to unnecessarily screw anything up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

/ 1988 JD 318 starter solenoid #2  
by the deere web site i have your tractor should have a onan motor with starter number 191-1760-02 or mitsubishi number m2t43581 these are the same starters onan had mitsubishi build the starter for them. if you cannot find the number on the starter google pats small engine plus and go to the web site and put their number ashmt0202 and look at the picture see if yours is the same. will not know for sure until tommorrow if solenoid is available and how much. you are in the right direction what you have done is narrowed the problem down to either the solenoid or a problem between key switch and solenoid maybe fuse or relay not allowing proper voltage to solenoid. we can cover this later if need to. hopes this helps.

mitch becton