JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position?

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Hi.....The lower hydraulic control lever on my John Deere 455 garden tractor is what raises and lowers the snowblower. My question is ....were is the float position on this lever and how does it stay there?
Thanks.....Casey

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #2  
Be sure you have the right control, with the hoses hooked to the right connectors.

Then:
Push it all the way forward, and it will stay there. Has to "snap" into place.
If not used for awhile, it may resist going into 'float'.
I would give it a good shove (I don't think you will break it, at least I hope not).
Over time, it will snap in easier, but will stay there.

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #3  
Also it is best to do this while blade is going down .
Like beenthere said push lever forward and you should feel a snap that is your float...
float is at the very end of forward motion with your lever .

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position?
Thanks a lot guys....I'll give it a try today. I guess I wasn't pushing hard enough on the lever.
Thanks......Casey

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #5  
The valve tends to not want to go into the float position if it's not used frequently, takes a pretty good snap the first few times. I think my JD455 manual even said to snap in and out of float periodically to keep it working. My JD2210 acts the same way. Must be a John Deere valve thing. :)

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #6  
ovrszd is right, the manual mentions exercising the control periodically.

Less strain on the connecting rods to the valve control if you go directly to the valve and use a tool (screw driver or prybar) to snap that spool into float. But try it from the lever first. :)

I found the float position OK just as advertised above. Engaged it as the snowblower was on it's way down . Worked pretty good except on several occasions the lever slipped out of the float position.........is there any place in the linkage to fine tune the lever linkage so it stays in the float position?
Thanks for your help......Casey

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #8  
It is probably a detent in the valve control itself, on the spool. Might check with the Deere dealer for some info. If I find/have time, I'll look at the tech manual I have on a CD for any info.
Looked and attached shows the detent balls, springs, plugs and set screws. Might just be a removal and cleaning needed if the problem doesn't clear up shortly. See if this helps.

Attachments

• 455_spool_detent.JPG
    455_spool_detent.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 864
Yea.......if there is any dirt or rust on the detent balls that could be my problem.
Thanks.....Casey

/ JD 455 Gt...hydraulic float position? #10  
I have yet to figure out how to put my x758 or 455 in float position. When I push the lever forward it drives my rotary broom and/or my snow blower right into the ground. Do I need to push the lever slowly or quickly?

Thanks