JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #11  
For my money I'd go with the LA165/175. Bigger deck, nicer seat. With 1 acre any riding tractor should last you forever with proper service.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series
Thank you to everyone for your input.

Does anyone have any experience with the 4 wheel steering?

I have a Kubota B3030 which is great for open terrain mowing and plowing in the winter. The riding mower, of course, would be for the wooded area. Since both the 100 and 300 series can handle a snowblower I think they could handle a rotary broom as well. It'd be nice to sweep off the drive after a half inch dusting in the winter making the rider an all-season tool. I just don't want to break the bank for the broom option.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #13  
Thank you to everyone for your input.

Does anyone have any experience with the 4 wheel steering?

I have the AWS X534 model and I really like it. Was looking to buy the 540 but the dealer "steered" me towards the AWS (he knew I had a bunch of things to mow around) and I am sure glad he did!

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #14  
I had the L118 with the 42" deck and it was garbage. A cookie cutter machine for sure. Ran fine but cut like crap.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #16  
I have owned an x320 for several years and have been very happy with it. The 100 series is the low end Lawn Tractors made by JD. That is the reason you will find them at Home Depot and Lowes.

I know when I was looking for a lawn tractor the dealer did not speak to favorably about the 100 series. Now that could have been that he wanted to sell me a more expensive tractor. The 300 series has the Kaw engine which in my opinion is a much better engine that you will find on the 100 series.

If you can afford the extra money I would go with a 300 series lawn tractor. You will like it...

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #17  
The 300 mowers are a step up but not all 100 series mowers are built the same. I bought a LA165 last year because the 165/175 have the same rear axle as the 300X. The 165/175 have the Extended Life Series Briggs & Stratton engine along with larger wheels/tires which work better in my sandy soil. The 300's probably cut grass smother than the 100's but I don't have a manicured lawn so it does not bother me. I also like the extra 4 to 10 inches of cut with the 48" deck of the 165. After one mowing season I am happy with the 165 and getting ready for the second.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #18  
I had an LA145 and returned it due to a leaky gas tank, wobbly wheels and zero traction. I got my money back and bought a used 325 with 4 attachments for the same money. I am much happier with that 15 yr-old tractor over a brand new 100-series. 900+ hours and zero issues.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #19  
I have a L(emon)-130 too because that's all the budget would allow. I too hate the pedal arrangement on my L-130. Although I only have about 60+ hours on it, I'm on my third mower deck belt, also a mower idler pulley bracket literally broke in my hand, and the electric PTO clutch (~$150 parts only) puked at 56-hours. They are thirsty and backfire on shutdown until you learn the trick of having the engine a few RPM above idle before shutting it off. Granted, I'm cutting green weeds with mine; but it should hold up better than it has.

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - John Deere L1...#

I believe the X300 & X500 are belt driven and use electric PTO clutches. I would go to www.jdparts.com and check the part numbers and prices of the electric clutches to see if they are the same between the "L" & "X" series. However if you can afford an X300 series, I'd go that route. If you decide on an "L" series, try and buy it from a dealer instead of 'Big Box Mart' as the dealer is the same price as BBM, at least in Colorado they are. Plus if you need service, the dealer will probably be more willing to fix a machine bought from them instead of BBM, which sticks the dealers with warranty work.

If I had my way, I'd have an X700-series diesel AWS for its shaft drive and hydraulic PTO, or a 455 AWS, which are almost impossible to find in Colorado.

I changed the slip clutch on mine a few hours ago with 194 hours on the machine. The belts are original and still in good shape. With 60+ hours and trouble with clutch, belt tensioner and 3 belts it should be apparent that something is wrong with your deck. I would remove the deck and try to figure out what the problem is. All three of the items work hand in hand, if you can determine the problem (most likely alignment of the pulleys) your service intervals should be extended dramatically.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #20  
Steve:

All good suggestions that I inspected/fixed after I installed the new clutch. The deck wasn't level, though it appeared to be; otherwise everything else was OK. That plastic JD deck gauge made leveling the deck easier.

With all the moisture we've had (by Colorado's standards), I have a hunch I'll be giving the L-130 a good workout this year, like I did last year. Time will tell.