JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #21  
My MTD has given it up after eleven years of service. Now I'm looking at John Deere for a replacement. Although the price is a factor I could afford the X304 if it sounds like it is a much more durable machine.

From what I have read here it seems the 100's should last about ten years. One person commented that they hope to get 15 years from it and another had the dealer tell him 8 years.

With the 300 series there hasn't been any talk about longevity (forgive me if I missed that post). Is the X300 built so much more stout that lifespan isn't an issue?

I have 1 acre with trees and would be bagging the leaves in the fall and grass in the summer (when I let the lawn get out of control).

Thanks.

I was at the dealer yesterday and looked at the 300R rear bagger model and really liked the setup. This might be something to look at considering the rear bagger is the best designed on any of the smaller Deere mowers. I liked the fact that you can trim on either side with out the cumbersome chute and suspect that with the short passage way to the bagger it will work alot better too.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series
I put down the money for a X304 yesterday afternoon. The dealer has marked down the price by $200 right now to try and get them moving. It should be delivered early next week with the rear bagger. They are going to install a brush guard and 12V power point as well.

After a few months with I'll let you know how things are going.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #23  
I put down the money for a X304 yesterday afternoon. The dealer has marked down the price by $200 right now to try and get them moving. It should be delivered early next week with the rear bagger. They are going to install a brush guard and 12V power point as well.

After a few months with I'll let you know how things are going.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

I think you made a wise decision. I put the front bumper on my LT180 and glad I did. The bagger works really well for leaves and dry grass clippings. It does not work very good when the grass is wet. My dealer recommended a 42" non mulching deck that works best with the bagger. I think you can buy a mulching kit for the edge control 42" deck.

I paid about $3300 for my LT180/42"/with bagger in 2005. I believe the reason the price is a little higher now is for the 4 year 300 hour extended warranty. After cutting my 1 acre starting my 5th season I have about 100 hours on mine. The battery is showing its age. I charged it up and its holding enough to start but it won't be long. I've had to put 2 bearings in one of the deck spindles. They are only about $6 each available at the auto parts or you can buy a complete new spindle assy for around $34.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #24  
Hi guys.
I was really excited to hear husband gave the old JD 317 away (we bought used with rebuilt engine and used for 9 years) and wants a new lawn tractor.
I am of the school we should get another 300 series as we have 4 acres with some rough terrain (1 horse pasture is some bumpy riding) a hill of about 30 degrees, and wooded area we cut a few times a season and mulch the leaves.
He came home from Home Depot and is thinking of getting the LA 145 for $2000. He is not a mechanic (better baker) and we are not hurting $ wise and retired (ain't getting any younger.)

Any input is appreciated as I am :confused2:.
thanks
junebug

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #25  
Hi guys.
I was really excited to hear husband gave the old JD 317 away (we bought used with rebuilt engine and used for 9 years) and wants a new lawn tractor.
I am of the school we should get another 300 series as we have 4 acres with some rough terrain (1 horse pasture is some bumpy riding) a hill of about 30 degrees, and wooded area we cut a few times a season and mulch the leaves.
He came home from Home Depot and is thinking of getting the LA 145 for $2000. He is not a mechanic (better baker) and we are not hurting $ wise and retired (ain't getting any younger.)

Any input is appreciated as I am :confused2:.
thanks
junebug

I would use a 300 series or better as it has worked in the past. The LA145 is not near the mower the X300 series is. That would be $2000 wasted IMHO.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #27  
yes that is very steep, also from a comparison point of view the 317 was more of a "garden" tractor than a "lawn" tractor. A better unit to campare to would be the x700 series as far as feature and durability comparisons, the current x500 series xould also be an option where the x300 is stricltly a Lawn tractor.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #28  
That is REALLY steep.

I may be streching that angle a bit. At the peak of a private road easement it is about 30, (one very slow careful pass.) I should plant something there but it's not mine. I would love to let it go but everybody else mows theirs. (don't get me started with neighbors.) ;)

Sorry but no, we were not planning to go higher than the 300's.
Edited to add... oh boy, I just did a search and the #s are all different now.

What can we get for $3000?
I need a good mulching blade, maybe a wider cut and something that can handle the rough horse divots.
To be honest with you I figured this was a "the bigger the better forum." :D

So what you are saying is the 300 series they have now are nothing like what we had?

Last edited:
   / JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #29  
I have an STX series that I used to use for similar tasks. I have replaced it with a 2305 and LX 4 for pastures and rough mowing.
I basically have destroyed the STX mowing horse pasture fence lines and keeping the woods and weeds in check. (Broken front axle pivot, broken frame, broken seat, shattered hood, lots of belts and a couple of spindle bearings.)
If I had to do it again, I would have gotten a much more robust mower.

/ JD 100 Series Vs. 300 Series #30  
Oh good, with your help he is now looking at a 320. :thumbsup:
Thank you.

and....we can handle more than $3000 I was just stuck in the 80's or something.

Last edited: