425 mower not engaging

/ 425 mower not engaging #1  

JurassicJet

Tractor
Kioti CX2510 Cab
Hello All:

I have a JD425 AWS with about 450 hours on it. Last year it worked well for the most part but occasionally I would have to give the PTO engage knob a good pull to get the mower to work.

This spring, I discovered that the mower will not operate at all. If you pull the PTO knob up the yellow light on the dash illuminates but the deck will not start. There are no sounds that I can hear coming from the electric clutch or anything like that.

Any ideas? I did take the switch out and clean the contacts but I am getting the light on the dash so it appears the switch is making contact.

/ 425 mower not engaging #2  
Will be interested in what you learn. I've a 424 AWS but no problem yet with the electric clutch.
Later today I may be able to browse the tech manual CD and try to find a clue for you to work on. What is the S/N of this 425 (leave off the last three digits for security) ?

/ 425 mower not engaging
Well... I just went through the wiring and do not see any anomolies near the front of the tractor. Took the connectors off and cleaned them where I could. It appears that the wires from the PTO switch go into the circuit board on the right side of the tractor.
There is a green light and a red light on the panel. Any ideas what they mean?

I am going to have to remove the seat pan and gas tank to get to the wires that go into the tranny, and I don't feel like ripping that all apart today. I have a feeling that I would not find any issues under there anyhow.....

the serial # is M00425B071. It is a 1999 I believe. Thanks!

/ 425 mower not engaging #4  
Check the seat switch really good, it it one of the safety lockouts. If it isn't depressed, it won't engage I believe.

/ 425 mower not engaging #5  
If the battery is the least bit weak it can cause the electric clutch to not work. On my Cub I can have enough battery to start the mower but not enough to handle the draw of the electric clutch.

MarkV

/ 425 mower not engaging
Kyle_in_Tex

Check the seat switch really good, it it one of the safety lockouts. If it isn't depressed, it won't engage I believe.

I have that switch bypassed (am i supposed to say that on here?);)

I will have to check my battery Mark. I know that the terminals are real corroded and that was on my spring to-do list. I will give you a report in about an hour or so...

/ 425 mower not engaging #7  
I have the same guts in a JD front mower (Its a 425 running backwards).

Check to see if the parking brake is set or the brake lever is out of position. The machine may think the brake is on. Mine has a microswitch sensor. Once the band slipped off the rotor and the switch did not close.

/ 425 mower not engaging
As far as the brake is concerned... When I apply the brake when traveling forward (and the PTO is illuminated on the instrument panel) the light extinguishes, which would cause me to believe that the brake switch is making the correct connection.

/ 425 mower not engaging
I completely cleaned the battery terminals and re-installed the cables. Unfortunately no change. Mower still does not work so now I am running out of ideas.

/ 425 mower not engaging #10  
One difference with these units is they don't have
an electric clutch. there is a hydraulic clutch in the
transmission.
there is also an electronic control panel on the right
side of the steering column with some lights, red/green.
there are relays on the board, and i was experiencing
intermittent problems with pto engagement until i replaced
the circuit board. at the beginning, i think i remember that
i was able to tap the relays and the deck would come on.
look into that area and see if you come up with any more
info. double check the lights that come on and when.
(the red/green ones)