Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #1  

rayikeo2

Platinum Member
If mower LX279 starts right up with full choke and runs fine w/choke on about half way but dies when choke is released, is it more likely to be a air leak or a dirty carb problem or a fuel pump problem? I need to know what to check, the fuel filter does not fill over 1/3 full. New fuel pump 2 years ago. Any helpful information will be appreciated, thanks.

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off
OK, new information: I have changed fuel filter and new hose from the filter to the fuel pump. Got a qt jar filled with new gas and put the new filter into it to make sure it was getting good gas. It ran the same drawing new fuel from the jar. I let it run for 10 min with the choke 1/2 on. Still would not continue to run without choke. I am thinking this is a process of elimanation to rule out the tank, gas and fuel pump. That leaves me with the carb plugged? Now I need to know if the carb can be cleaned without removing from the engine. I have some carb and choke cleaner in a spray can. Any Ideas or helpful information? Am I going to have to take it in to the shop?

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #3  
You told us nothing about the machine. What year is it and what HP and brand of engine? Best thing you can do is write down all that info and the SN of the engine, not the tractor, plus the brand name of the carb and go to the dealer and get a carb rebuild kit.

Why I say go with all that info is I work on these things as a side job and many times they will put 2 or 3 different carbs on the same engine.

Chris

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #4  
Are you sure you eliminated the fuel pump? Running with the choke on means it’s starving for fuel. If you can, put some fuel in a squirt bottle and squirt it into the carb while running. If that keeps it running without the choke, I would fix the fuel pump.

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #5  
Dab of seafoam may work wonders, has for me more than once

Dab of seafoam may work wonders, has for me more than once
I put seafoam into the gas tank and poured some into the air intake. It didn't change anything.
My engine is a 17 hp water cooled Kawasaki twin cylinder FD501V.
I set the quart jar with new fuel (with some sea foam in it) on the ground beside the tractor and with the choke on it was pulling plenty of fuel into the float bowl. I am thinking some deteration of the fuel hose may have let some rubber particles into the carb. How is the best way to test a fuel pump? I don't have any vacc guages. Is there an easy way? I replaced the fuel pump and gas cap two seasons ago. The pump is expensive so I don't want to replace it again if it's not necessary.

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #7  
I believe you have a dirty carb - probably from old gas left in the tank over the winter. Need to remove and clean, paying special attention to any orifice that could be blocked or partially blocled. Check all brass tubes and such. You may have to probe them or clean with carb cleaner and blow out with air. Dennis

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #8  
Open the high speed jet just a touch.:)

/ Lawn Trac runs w/choke on, dies with choke off #9  
What year is the engine? How old is the carb? It is possible you have corrosion products developing in the car and partially blocking an orifice.

Successful Repair, Thanks to everyone and JC's pictures (from the Ford/Neholland Forum). I took the carb bowl off and was able to spray clean the inside of the carb without removing it (the carb) from the tractor. What I found was little black rubber particles from the deteriation of the inside of the fuel hose from the filter to the carburator. I was able to spray it out of the carb and I have replaced the hose and filter. Yesterday I had put some sea foam in the tank and the air intake. I do not know if it had any part of cleaning the carb, but is sure didn't hurt anything. Put it all back togather and it started right up, ran smooth so I mowed my yard without a hitch. I want to thank everyone that gave me suggestions. Ray I.
Sea Foam on sale at Orileys, buy 2 get one free.

Last edited: