Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #1  

arrabil

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4200 & X475
Howdy. In case this is of interest to anyone.... You know how you have to lift the PTO switch to mow in reverse? I was really sick of that so I defeated the Reverse PTO Cutoff on the X465/X475/X485/X575/X585 models.

I don't know if this is the same procedure on the X495/X595/X700s. I don't have a tech manual for them. The base model X700 is the same tractor as my X475 so theoretically it should be the same but I don't have any way to verify that.

Obviously, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. The safety cutoff is there for a reason as they don't believe you should mow in reverse.

Anyway... there are two blue wires sticking out from under the PTO switch. Actually there are more blue wires but we're only interested in the long one that is paired with the looped one. We're also interested in the lone green wire. The green wire shares a spot with a purple wire but we don't care about any of the purple wires (there are also several).

You have to join either of the blue wires with the green wire. Technically, its the blue looped wire that gets connected to the green wire when the switch is lifted, but since both blue wires are joined together electrically anyway, I used the long one as it was easier to work with.

For completeness, the green wire is the one that actually energizes the relay to engage "mow-in-reverse" while the purple wire lights up the dash warning light. Again, since they are already joined together electrically, only one needs to be jumpered for both to work right.

The pictures will make this easy...

Attachments

• ptoswitch1.jpg
    ptoswitch1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 9,779
  • ptoswitch2.jpg
    ptoswitch2.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 4,275
Last edited:
   / Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #2  
I have fixed my X748 to bypass RIO also. But I would not advise posting how to do it on the forums since it is a safey issue for many people. Neither you nor The forum will want to be laible if some one gets hurt and their lawyer blames it on a "how to" post.

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5
I clearly said, "DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK."

If the forum feels the need to delete the thread, they will. Otherwise, I'm guessing this will help one or two people or more.

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #4  
Sure sounds more complicated than the way I did it. I didn't touch any wires, just moved the lever that activates the switch. Was simple to do, and simple to put back.

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5
just moved the lever that activates the switch
Moved it to where? Its a momentary switch so you'd have had to lock it in the up position. Yes?

But surely you don't think jumpering two wires is complicated?

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #6  
It's nice to know the annoying RIO switch can be bypassed on an 'X' series tractor. I looked at the switch in the brochure and figured that Deere had the thing designed so it couldn't be disabled.

Disabling the RIO on a 'L-1xx' is easy, and DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK! Picasa Web Albums - Matt - John Deere L1...

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #7  
Insert the larger end of a golf tee under the switch once switch is engaged and mow away. When finished pull out the tee and store it in the adjustable steering shroud. sweet, cheap, easy.:thumbsup:

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #8  
Funny thing on my X300, the bolt holding the reverse switch bracket fell out (Under the right side foot rest)- now it mowes in reverse without the RIO switch procedure. Now if I can find the bolt out in the yard I'll fix it so I am safe:laughing:

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #9  
That is "funny". If you find it, I suggest throwing it away. :D

/ Defeated Reverse PTO Cutoff on X4x5/X5x5 #10  
Just bought a used X475. I'll be doing this RIO mod after I finish my 1st repair. Week after I had it and 1/2 hr. of running water pump seal started leaking:mad: But I can fix it:thumbsup: In case this happens to anyone else I was advised by several to replace the whole pump. After fighting for an hr. trying to remove seal... I see why.

Attachments

• cover off pump.JPG
    cover off pump.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,033
  • water pump removed 1.JPG
    water pump removed 1.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 7,283
  • water pump removed.JPG
    water pump removed.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 797