Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #1  

acs55812

Silver Member
Tractor
4100/410
I need to rebuild or replace bearings in a 54C deck, on ebay there appears to be some generic spindle replacements available, however I am skeptical of Chinese parts.

I have considered replacing the bearings but that probably would require seals and bushing also.

Parts cost from Deere for the spindle asm is about 97.90 plus tax each, and I figure the bearings would be about $10.00 each two required per spindle.

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #2  
IMHO, I always use OEM parts whenever available - unless it is an electrical item and the price differential is too great. For metal parts, Chinese companies seem to have no problem substituting materials in making steel/aluminum/etc. As for your spindles, as long as they don't have appreciable wear or been hot (blue color) from a bad bearing they should be ok for reuse. As for me though, I'd probably replace the whole assembly while I was at it, but my father would'nt. He would replace the absolute minimum to have it going again and that would work for him. I'd have it back apart a week later repairing something else LOL.

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #3  
My 42" deck bearings went south in one spindle. They were russian. rebuilt my own with local auto parts run of the mill bearings less than $12 for 2. If you want some good bearings, look for Koyo from Japan.

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #4  
Deere has a good rep with their spindle bearings except for price. I would like to know the experiences others have had using non OEM on their JD mower decks

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #5  
acs
How many hours approx. on the 54C deck?

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles
no clue, however the tractor only has about 300 hours, the deck of course only get used a small portion of the year up here and my lawn is probably about an acre. (So not many hours is what I am getting at)

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #7  
I have about 450 hours on a 54C deck on my X485, and see no sign of any spindle problem. I'd pull it off and see if you can get just the bearings pulled off and new ones pressed on. I wouldn't go the chinese route.
I don't particularly care for the design of the Deere 54C deck, compared to the older 54 decks on the older 400 series (435, 445, 455). It is the primary reason I now have a 425 and a 455. :) They do a much better mowing job and the leaf blower system (powerflo) works 100% better with the older decks.

But no spindle problem.

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #8  
How did you determine the spindles are bad. If they have grease zerts and have been greased they may not be the problem. Most mowers have at least 2 idler pulleys. These idlers are sealed and go bad before the spindles. They are cheaper by far, less than $20 each. Look for a bad one of the idlers before doing anything to the spindles. I just replaced one on my 42" deck that has 3 spindles and 2 idlers and it was as easy as removing one bolt. My spindles are 10 yeas old and in perfect condition and I mow 2 1/2 acres of rocky terrain. I run over rocks and sticks every time I mow. My mower deck is a 42" Perrana mulcher and I love it after modifing the mulcher some.
I haven't had any spindle problems since I got rid of my Sears mower 10 years ago. RayI

Last edited:
   / Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #9  
I used some of the Ebay generic spindles in my Craftsman. I used it a couple yeras and gave it to my BIL. He is still using it with no problems.

/ Rebuild or replace mower deck spindles #10  
How did you determine the spindles are bad. If they have grease zerts and have been greased they may not be the problem. Most mowers have at least 2 idler pulleys. These idlers are sealed and go bad before the spindles. They are cheaper by far, less than $20 each. Look for a bad one of the idlers before doing anything to the spindles. I just replaced one on my 42" deck that has 3 spindles and 2 idlers and it was as easy as removing one bolt. My spindles are 10 yeas old and in perfect condition and I mow 2 1/2 acres of rocky terrain. I run over rocks and sticks every time I mow. My mower deck is a 42" Perrana mulcher and I love it after modifing the mulcher some.
I haven't had any spindle problems since I got rid of my Sears mower 10 years ago. RayI

Mine have zerts but they lead into a "hollow" area. Since the bearings are sealed on both sides the grease can't help except to press the bearings out of their counterbores.