LA105 Spindles Dead....I think

/ LA105 Spindles Dead....I think #1  

stihlman32

Hi all,

LA105 w/ 150 hours. The deck (42") probably has 75 hours on it. I've noticed a whine that from the deck when it is engaged. I've shot grease into the spindles hoping that was the issue, but no joy. Now I'm not sure if the spindles are shot or the idler pulley bearings. Is there any sure fire way to diagnose either, and if it's the spindles are they rebuildable or should I just replace the whole unit?

Thanks for your replies.

/ LA105 Spindles Dead....I think #2  
Sounds like the idler pulley bearings. Spindles will viabrate the mower deck without the squeel. When they go bad you will be able to wiggle the blade by hand. The idlers are sealed and a high pitched whine is the first warning. To check run the mower till you hear the whine or 4 to 5 min then shut it off and feel the idler pulley to see if it is hot to the tutch. Or the other way is to take the belt off and spin them by hand. If they are hard to spin replace them. You probably have 2 idlers and usually they go out one at a time. About $15 replacement cost for a new idler pulley.
If it completely seizes before you change it, you will have to buy a $30 belt also. Check your warranty if it's still in effect they might be covered, but chances are they won't be. Spindles are about $100 each.

Last edited:
   / LA105 Spindles Dead....I think #3  
I doubt your spindles are shot with only 75 hours. Even an idler wouldn't go bad in that length of time. Look to see if something is rubbing a belt or pulley that may be making the noise.

/ LA105 Spindles Dead....I think
Thanks for the replies. I'm getting no odd vibrations or movement from the deck itself, and I've pulled the deck and nothing is rubbing on the belts etc. I'll start with the idler pulley's and go from there. I assume its easiest/best to replace the entire pulley assembly versus trying to remove/reinstall the bearings in them. Anyone happen to know the JD part numbers for both pulleys?

/ LA105 Spindles Dead....I think #5  
Although blade spindles are almost always rebuildable most idler pulleys are disposable items and not rebuildable. Check to see if you don't have something wrapped around your spindle that can cause it to squeal. Things that can cause squealing wrapped around a mower spindle: Horse tail hair, plastic like garbage bags, baler twine, and tall grass. My wife has used our riding tractor like a brush hog and got so much long grass wrapped the spindles it made them squeal. If you get just a little grease on your belt that can make it squeal. With only 75 hours on your spindles the spindles would be the last place I would suspect a problem.

Whistle thanks for you input. It's not a squeal per say, but definately the sound of a bearing failing. Hard to describe but almost a the sound of a gear drive running on a hopped up car or metal on metal of a bearing. I ran the deck for about 5 min and the small idler pulley is warmer than the rest, and almost uncomfortable to the touch on the nut. I think it's the culprit, and for $15 its not a bad place to start...

/ LA105 Spindles Dead....I think #7  
That's the spirit. :)
Go get um, and let us know the result. :D

:welcome: to TBN :)

/ LA105 Spindles Dead....I think #8  
I gave 'er a go anyway. If you have more than one idler I would replace them both. It's a bit of work getting the belt off. Hope you get it fixed.

I'll have parts this afternoon and let you all know how it goes. FWIW I like http://jdpc.deere.com which is the direct link to the parts catalog and ties into jdparts.com. I've been to jdparts.com and can figure out where the link to the parts catalog is. Ahh well!