LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general

/ LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general #1  

racinghoss

I have a 1.59 acre lot on a hill. A small section is about a 45% angle (a real butt clencher to mow). The back yard is fairly level, but has some small dips and such. The front yard (over 1/2 the lot) is a large hill with about 80 or so feet of climb from street to porch over approximately a 70 yard distance.

I just bought the house and the (2) Craftsman mowers that came with it both crapped out on me this weekend. Trannys are shot in both. They were not hydros, but I think the age of them and the constant shifting to mow around trees and corners took its toll. Everyone in my neighborhood has tranny problems from the hills, but I see few heavy duty tractors - mostly craftsman and a few JD 100 series.

I have been looking around at Husqvarnas and JD's. My budget is $3000 or less. The Husky models have the K46 tranny, as does the X300 and X304 that I can afford. I have been led to believe that they K46 is not up to the task.

However, I was at a JD dealer today and was offered an LX255 (model year 2000) for $1600. It is in pretty good shape and has been gone through extensively by the dealer and found to be in good shape. New blades and battery. Not sure on the hours, but it has definitely been taken care of. It has the K61 transmission.

Would this tractor be enough to mow my yard, occasionally pull a cart full of firewood, and possibly shove snow down my driveway (down the big hill)?

I am leaning toward buying this mower tomorrow.

Thanks for helping a 1st time poster.

/ LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general #2  
What is the K61 transmission? Is it an automatic with 2 pedals, forward and reverse?

/ LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general
What is the K61 transmission? Is it an automatic with 2 pedals, forward and reverse?

Yeah.

I bought the tractor today. Will be mowing with it in a couple hours.

/ LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general #4  
Yeah.

I bought the tractor today. Will be mowing with it in a couple hours.

I was going to tell you I have a 1999 LX279 that I have had for 10 years but I didn't get any response on my post. Mine is the same mower with a water cooled motor. I had never heard the transmission referred to with a number reference before. Anyway if you have any questions you want to ask about it post back. RayI

Thanks.

I am no expert, but after doing some research to find the right mower, I learned that all J.D. transaxles are made by a company called Tuff Torq. The different trannys have part numbers which correspond with how "heavy duty" they are. A K46 is weaker than a K57, which is in turn weaker than a K61 (what we have). There are other models as well that are weaker and stronger.

I mowed with the tractor yesterday and was pretty pleased. It pulled the hill over and over. However, when going uphill the tranny did growl a bit. Is this normal?

/ LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general #6  
Some transmission growling is normal. Mine has done that the whole time I have owned it. It actually gets quieter over time. Are you mowing up and down the hill or trying to go sideways? I have some steep hills but not long, like 15 or 20 feet and then level again. A word of caution when going downhill, don't use the cruise control as you will get into a free wheeling situation that makes the mower go too fast and hard to stop. I actually do not use the cruise at all. Pulling capacity is rated at 500 lbs with a five cu ft cart that JD sells for your firewood hauling.

I have not and probably will never use the cruise control on my yard. Too many obstacles and hills for it.

I was mowing straight up and down the hill. Since I bought it used from a JD dealer, there was no warranty. However, the salesman told me to go home and flog it, and if there was a problem he would make it right. - It held up and I am very happy with the purchase.

I wont always go up and down the hill. I will alternate with going across the hill each time I mow. The hill is long and tall, but not so steep that sidehilling would be a problem.

/ LX255 questions - new guy ?'s in general #8  
I was wondering which deck you have on that LX255 mower? Mine has the 44 Perranna Mulcher and it does an excellent job.

42"

no mulcher / no bagger