john deere l118 starting problem

/ john deere l118 starting problem #1  

bingers76

Hi everybody. I have a john deere l118 and when I turn the key all I get is a click come from the front of the motor. I changed the starter selnoid and the ignition switch. Still nothing. I hear about this failsafe switch but I can't find it anywhere. I'm new to this forum thing but i would appreciate any help. thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / john deere l118 starting problem #2  
1) Make sure the power takeoff for the mower is in the off position.
2)Make sure the battery is at a full charge level.
3) make sure the brake/clutch pedal is pushed in.
Try to start after checking the 3 items above while sitting in seat. Try jumper cables if battery can't be tested easily.
Sometimes it is a simple thing to correct.
I don't know what a "fail safe switch" is or how it works.
4)Check for mouse chewed wires that could be broken.

/ john deere l118 starting problem
Thanks rayikeo2. I tryed all three ten times made sure all the connections were tight and still nothing. I'm thinking I may have to take it to a dealership. Although I forgot to mention in the first post that unless I take the fuse out it will drain my batterie. I bought a new batterie and it still just doen't do anything. I'm starting to give up. When I cross over the selinoid it will start. Just nothing from the key.

/ john deere l118 starting problem #4  
Have you found any evidence of rodent chewings on any of the wires? I recently had a similar problem and found 2 wires with chew marks on the insulation. Both wires were near the starter. One of those was was still togather being held by the wire insulation but the copper wire was bitten through so it wasn't making the contack to the starter. The mower wouldn't crank until I fixed it. It sounds like you have a bare wire which is running down the battery. I had to put a splice in the wire. The second occurance I had another chewed wire and it would crank but not start. That wire was hidden by the battery. I had to take out the battery and check the wires comming into the starter area from the dash. It was on a 4 wire connector and on the bottom. The mouse carried away about 3 inches of wire so there was only about 1/2 inch left to trace. I almost didn't find it. I bet you have a similar problem and one end of the broken wire is tutching the frame and letting the battery discharge. Check with a flash light and a mirror to look into all cracks and creveses. Look at the small wires for the breaks. Sometimes while mowing a stick will catch a wire and pull it loose from the scoket too. Ray

/ john deere l118 starting problem #5  
Solenoid clicks, but starter does not engage? Turn the key til you hear the solenoid click, have a friend tap lightly on the starter motor and see if it turns over.

Could be bad brushes in the starter?

/ john deere l118 starting problem #6  
Try a starter assist relay to fix this problem. Any questions on it's installation, please advise. JD does sell these, $20-30, or you can assemble one yourself for a few bucks. I spent less than $5 on mine, but a member took exception to that, so you will have to see what it costs yourself. There have been many folks that installed these and were amazed at the results.

Let me know if you have any questions. PM or e-mail might be best.

Attachments

• RELAY.JPG
    RELAY.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 11,817
   / john deere l118 starting problem #7  
I'll bet the click you hear is the fuel shutoff solenoid at the carb. Is the "click" when the key is turned to "run" or to "start"?

With all due respect to the previous poster, a relay kit will not do much to help with this situation on these tractors. The old JD's that "switched" the positive side of the system through the safety circuits could have voltage drops that would cause the starters not to engage. On these tractors, all that is done via the ground side. There is actually a relay currently there that engages once all the safety circuits are satisfied.

I suspect you've got a brake switch problem.

/ john deere l118 starting problem #8  
I have the same issue..i was using the tractor for pulling and shut it off to attach the bagger..and it did not start when i tried. I have checked the switches. I also have L118..not sure what to check next..at first it was turning a little but failed to start...As I tried several more time..all it did was make a clicking noise.

/ john deere l118 starting problem #9  
I have the same issue..i was using the tractor for pulling and shut it off to attach the bagger..and it did not start when i tried. I have checked the switches. I also have L118..not sure what to check next..at first it was turning a little but failed to start...As I tried several more time..all it did was make a clicking noise.

i also have the same issue and i tried all of these steps except the relay step.
i tried touching the two big post on the solenoid and all it did was spark. its a new starter and solenoid. the fuse is good. the wires are good. new ignition switch.and where do i find the safty switch? is it on the brake pedal.