LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #21  
Jim
This seems odd. I have a 95 F525 with a 48" deck. I replaced spindle bearings on 2 spindles last year with over 900 hours on the mower when they started to get noisy. I can't remember ever replacing the idlers.

Chris

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #22  
Steve, I can't imagine that everyone is having similar problems. I have changed most idler pulleys when they start to make noise or I can feel rough bearings, but I'd expect a lot more complaints from folks if everyone had similar issues. We just cut grass in a dry and dusty environment. Since the idlers are above the deck, you wouldn't think they would get sand blasted like the bottom surface and blades, yet, I've sure had my share of failures. The blade tension is completely a function of the large idler and the tension of its spring. Engagement of the electric PTO is ON or OFF, there's no feathering it and we start it at mid-rpm range as the operator manual suggests.

Does your deck have two small idlers and one large idler? Electric PTO? Is the first idler off the electric clutch a small one that has a rigid mount with no spring for shock absorbtion? Believe me, I'm looking for reasons for our problems, but we are doing nothing out of the ordinary for any riding mower we have ever owned. As I've said before, thank goodness parts are cheap and easy to replace. I put a new set of blades on every year and sharpen them once before they have to be tossed because they are eroded away. I'll replace parts as they fail as long as I can get them from JD. Parts support has been terrific. The dealer is very helpful.

I will have to look at mine to see the setup, will get back to you over the weekend. Since I have had no issues I am not real familiar with it.

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #23  
I drilled the rivets out on my big idler pulley, then i found out it was also spot welded together so I bought a new one. I had over 300 hours on the deck. When I picked up the new parts the parts man asked if I washed my deck after mowing. I told him I did, he asked if I ran the deck after washing it. I told him no, he said when the bearings are warm they actually attract moisture so I should run the deck for a while after washing it to dry it out.

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #24  
It looks like you could put a big washer on your idler pulley before you put the nut on. One that would cover the bearing and the ridge around it. You could pump grease on top of the bearing, then put on the washer and nut. That way some grease would work into the bearing and it would keep out sand and moisture. My idler had a washer on it so I decided to put grease under it figured it can't hurt. When I take the deck off I will grease it again.

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance
Jimmy Joe, that's probably a good idea with the grease and washer. It sure can't hurt. We wash the top of our deck off and also use compressed air to blow it off. I try to run the deck to spin the water out of the tops of the idlers, but I can't guarantee I do that every time.

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #26  
I have owned two 60" decks... one on a 455, over 2,000 hours and my current 60" on a 4110 with near 300 hours. Never had a failure and grease them religiously every 3-4 cuttings. I never heard of too much grease as some say. My plan seems to work just fine. These decks are quite expensive and don't have cheap throw away parts.

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #27  
Just a thought! Have you checked your blades for being slightly bent or even a notch of metal missing from one of them. While I do not disagree with all the assessments questioning the sub-Deere quality looking material, I can't help but wonder if a blade imbalance could be stressing the spindle casings. It doesn't take much out of balance when spinning relatively fast to cause just enough flex to soon stress material like this.

Also, could belt be too tight (wrong belt/short etc.)? This would create a severe uneven pressure as well!

I did not read all three pages of this post, therefore if someone already suggested this......my apologies!

Good luck and please keep us informed!

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #28  
Holy mackerel I hope this isn't contagious the big idler on the F525 went up in smoke yesterday. I hope the new one won't be one of those one a year kind.

Chris

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance
All you can do is replace it and hope for the best Chris. If others fail, I'd start keeping a few spares like I do. Let us know what the idler's cost is for your F525 deck.

/ LA145 48" Deck is high maintenance #30  
Jim I have been wondering if water played a part in your idler problems. I noticed in one of your pictures The inside of the small idler looks rusty. Did you see Hammereds pictures of his edge 54 deck in the mower axle thread? The idlers have cupped washers over the center of the idler. I wondered if the washers act to keep dust and water out?

Chris