455 Fuse Problem

/ 455 Fuse Problem #1  

ErikMetz

Tractor
John Deere 455
Short description: Instaleld new battery and the fuse (top one) blows after about 5 seconds of turning the key on.

Long description: The battery died on my 455. I jump started it and used it for 1.5 hours. I bought a new battery from an autoparts store. The battery was apparently tampered with at the store. Someone changed the label on the shelf and put the red terminal cover on the black and vice versa. I installed it in the tractor (obviously with the terminals crossed). The battery light on the dash did not come on when the key was turned, nor did the glow plugs, nor did the soleniod kick in. The battery did turn over the engine. Thinking it was just a loose terminal I took off the battery and immediately saw to backwards hookup. Back to the store for a battery swap (we figured out the labeling issue right away and fixed the shelf and checked the remaining batteries). Brought home the new battery and instaleld it (correct polarity this time) and when I turn on the key, all of the lights and solenoid kick in then in a few seconds the fuse blows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Any snide remarks about my trusting the labels and not looking at the battery are welcome too, but preferrably after I get the thing working again.:laughing:

/ 455 Fuse Problem
I thought I'd put in yet another fuse and give it a try. This time the fuse does not blow. The tractor started and rand for about 5 seconds and then shut off. It won't start now. Just turns over and over. I checked both fuses and they are both fine. Now it's something else. Could there be an issue with the fuel pump?

/ 455 Fuse Problem #3  
:welcome:

Bummer of a trick.

Will the store honor you taking the tractor to your Deere dealer for chasing down this problem (that they apparently admit to) at their expense, of course ?

That is where I would start with the "fix".

Maybe someone can identify the part(s) that blow (alternator? ) when hooking up the battery wrong. Seems I recall that the polarity is changed and you will have to get it switched back or get a new part that is ok. Later I will browse around the CD tech manual to try to find something positive to feed back.

Might try putting a light bulb in place of the fuse to observe the load the fuse is getting and when it is getting it.