30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279

/ 30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279 #1  

BruceWard

Platinum Member
While waiting on the fuel pump for my LX279 I picked up a 30 inch mechanical tiller. The John Deere website and JDPC list the tiller as an attachment for the LX279 but a dealer told me that the LX279 is not intended to use ground engaging attachments.

I am planning to acquire the lift kit or individual parts for using the tiller with the GT225/GT235/GT245 range as there is no tiller lift kit listed for the LX279. The LX279 and those GTs use the same mower decks and and the JDPC diagram and parts listing for the mower deck lift kit is exactly the same.

I may have to add some additional mount points to the frame to attach the tiller.

Does anyone have advice to offer?

/ 30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279 #3  
John Deere has two groups of Tractors. There are definate differances in the mechanical construction and ability to preform tasks between the two. The first group being LT tractors which are Lawn Tractors. Lawn Tractors are for mowing. The second group is GT which is garden tractors. Garden tractors are for use in gardens and are built heavier to withstand the more extreme projects around the home or shop. The LX279 is a Lawn Tractor. When you use a Lawn Tractor as a Garden Tractor you will shorten the life of the machine drasticly.

/ 30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279
I have been looking at the parts diagrams and comparing the LX279 and GT235. The two have very similar if not the same frames. The GT235 has some additional supports on the frame that I could easily add. The main difference that I can see is that the LX279 has a K62 transaxle while the GT235 has a K71 transaxle with larger tires and wheels.

The K71 is almost twice as strong as the K62. The K71 has a standard continuous axle torque of 406 ft/lbs while the K62 has 215 ft/lbs. I am unsure hot this relates to real world output with the LX279 having a 17HP engine and the GT235 having an 18HP engine. But it certainly provides the GT235 with a greater ability to handle load before breaking.

LX279 Frame
MP19543________UN12OCT98.gif

GT235 Frame
MP33627________UN25FEB04.gif

/ 30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279 #5  
It looks like you are well informed and capable to make this work if it can be done. It will be interesting to see your end results. I suspect the different transaxles is where the Garden Tractor capeability comes into play. However I can not tell you the difference in construction between the two. Please keep us informed as to the end result and how well it worked. :thumbsup:

Looking further into the question of whether or not the K62 transaxle can handle a tiller I found the following

"Avoid machine damage. Your S2048 tractor is NOT intended for use with ground engaging equipment except for a rear tiller. Use of any other ground engaging equipment such as a disk, dirt blade or plow could result in damage to transmission components."

In the manual for a John Deere built Scotts S2048 which has the K62 transmission.

So I will try out the LX279 with the 30" tiller next springs. I think it will be fine for a 1/4 acre garden.

/ 30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279 #7  
Bruce if you do stop if she starts to groan. I had a LX280 and while the LX2's have the same frame as the GT2 series the tranny really is not made for that. This was told to me by a retired Deere engineer that worked with all the units in testing endurance and capabilities. It will do it but will be rough on the tranny. I did pull my 2000 lb boat around my property a lot and that would really make the tranny sing on slight inclines.

Thanks,

I like knowing that you were able to move a 2000 pound boat around with a LX280. The LX280 has a Tuff Torq K62 transaxle as well. Looks like factory specs for the LX280 include 22" tires as well. I believe that the 20" tires on my LX279 will place less stress on the K62 for the same load.

I am unsure how the K62 will hold up to the tilling. I believe it will be the weak point. If it fails I will have the option of rebuilding it as a 50% stronger K66 or switching to a 100% stronger K7x series. There is a used K72 on Ebay for $400 but why spend the money until I know is the K62 will hold up.

If I find a GT2x with a blown engine before the spring I will buy it and transplant the engine.

/ 30 inch mechanical tiller on LX279 #9  
OOps, my bad, I thought our sized units had a K58.