Model 45 loader

/ Model 45 loader #1  

Todd NE WY

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4320
Does anyone have on of JD's Model 45 loaders on a garden tractor? I have an X485 that I am thinking about putting one on. I am going to be doing a bunch of landscaping and this looks like a good way to do some light dirt work and haul the landscape blocks around without damage to the lawn. I have a 4320 with a loader if there is any big stuff to be done so I know and will respect the limitations of the small loader, I am just wanting to see if anyone out there has used on of these.

Thanks,

Todd

/ Model 45 loader #2  
I don't have one now, but they are a great loader. Quick on/off like your 4320, and tough as nails. The only thing is to provide the counter weight, 'cause the FEL will take whatever you can get in the bucket. :) And the X485 will take everything you can pile on as well.

/ Model 45 loader #3  
I have the 45 FEL on a X-585, and it works great. Easy on and off. Counter weights will dictate the amount of load it will handle. So far, I have not had any problems with it.

/ Model 45 loader #4  
I have a X575 with a loader 45 and it has a hard time picking up a load of 3/4" gravel/stone. If you load the bucket all the way, you won't be able to lift it off the ground. If the bucket is half full, it will lift about 3 feet and then stop. As soon as you tilt forward and drop some gravel, the bucket will raise to the full height.

/ Model 45 loader #5  
Todd,

I cannot confirm the last previous post, as the 45 loader I had on my 595 would lift a full bucket of washed stone to nearly full height (something wrong with that particular loader??) but my impressions of the 45 loader are as follows:

1. An excellent tool for an X series tractor, and is easily installed and removed
2. Lack of joystick not a joy. Loader is slow and has limited hydraulic flow
3. Two wheel drive X series tractors need a LOT of ballast to make loader work as advertised, (at least the 72 pound starter wheel weights, plus two 50 pound additional weights per wheel, plus liquid ballast, plus a weight box with ballast will be needed to make any headway in challenging conditions--or you can get a 4WD model). This means at least 400-450 pounds of wheel mounted ballast, plus whatever you can cram into the weight box.
4. Not cheap, almost as expensive as a loader for a big tractor
5. Front tires on X series tractors lack the weight capacity to carry big loads. Risk exists of popping a bead if too-heavily loaded in front. We complain about R4 tires on compact tractors often on this forum but they do generally have a more rigid sidewall for better load-carrying performance.

I liked my 45 loader, but also had the vision of it as a "yard tool", not a loader intended on doing much heavy work. If you go into the potential purchase with this expectation, I feel you would be pleased with it, just not as pleased as you would be with it mounted on a four wheel drive X series.

John M

/ Model 45 loader #6  
Had a JD X485 with a 45 loader before getting my BX. The X series should put out about 1,000 psi +/- 50psi, so the first thing I'd check is if your tractor is putting out the specified psi. You can do that with a gauge plugged into one of the loader quick connects. I picked up this gauge from Aux Hydraulics to test mine www.Aux-Hyd.com . Look under Products/tools.

After checking my PSI, I decided to shim my relief valve to increase max pressure to about 1,200 psi. Did a lot of research and decided it was not much of a risk as some owners shimmed their pressure up to 1,600 or 1,800 psi.

If you're interested in increasing your psi, I can post some links to other sites with info on how to do it.

Attachments

• Mounted on JD 3.jpg
    Mounted on JD 3.jpg
    649.3 KB · Views: 2,922
   / Model 45 loader
Thanks for all the information. After looking at all the options and costs I decided not to order 1. I was concerned about the hydraulic limitations and the ballast was getting extremely expensive fast.

Todd

/ Model 45 loader #8  
Oops, I should have directed my reply to welcomematt, not the OP. Sorry