Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4320

Default Model 45 loader

Does anyone have on of JD's Model 45 loaders on a garden tractor? I have an X485 that I am thinking about putting one on. I am going to be doing a bunch of landscaping and this looks like a good way to do some light dirt work and haul the landscape blocks around without damage to the lawn. I have a 4320 with a loader if there is any big stuff to be done so I know and will respect the limitations of the small loader, I am just wanting to see if anyone out there has used on of these.

Thanks,

Todd

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: Model 45 loader

I don't have one now, but they are a great loader. Quick on/off like your 4320, and tough as nails. The only thing is to provide the counter weight, 'cause the FEL will take whatever you can get in the bucket. And the X485 will take everything you can pile on as well.

Tractor
    JD X585

I have the 45 FEL on a X-585, and it works great. Easy on and off. Counter weights will dictate the amount of load it will handle. So far, I have not had any problems with it.

I have a X575 with a loader 45 and it has a hard time picking up a load of 3/4" gravel/stone. If you load the bucket all the way, you won't be able to lift it off the ground. If the bucket is half full, it will lift about 3 feet and then stop. As soon as you tilt forward and drop some gravel, the bucket will raise to the full height.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320; 4520

Todd,

I cannot confirm the last previous post, as the 45 loader I had on my 595 would lift a full bucket of washed stone to nearly full height (something wrong with that particular loader??) but my impressions of the 45 loader are as follows:

1. An excellent tool for an X series tractor, and is easily installed and removed
    2. Lack of joystick not a joy. Loader is slow and has limited hydraulic flow
    3. Two wheel drive X series tractors need a LOT of ballast to make loader work as advertised, (at least the 72 pound starter wheel weights, plus two 50 pound additional weights per wheel, plus liquid ballast, plus a weight box with ballast will be needed to make any headway in challenging conditions--or you can get a 4WD model). This means at least 400-450 pounds of wheel mounted ballast, plus whatever you can cram into the weight box.
    4. Not cheap, almost as expensive as a loader for a big tractor
    5. Front tires on X series tractors lack the weight capacity to carry big loads. Risk exists of popping a bead if too-heavily loaded in front. We complain about R4 tires on compact tractors often on this forum but they do generally have a more rigid sidewall for better load-carrying performance.

I liked my 45 loader, but also had the vision of it as a "yard tool", not a loader intended on doing much heavy work. If you go into the potential purchase with this expectation, I feel you would be pleased with it, just not as pleased as you would be with it mounted on a four wheel drive X series.

John M

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Had a JD X485 with a 45 loader before getting my BX. The X series should put out about 1,000 psi +/- 50psi, so the first thing I'd check is if your tractor is putting out the specified psi. You can do that with a gauge plugged into one of the loader quick connects. I picked up this gauge from Aux Hydraulics to test mine www.Aux-Hyd.com . Look under Products/tools.

After checking my PSI, I decided to shim my relief valve to increase max pressure to about 1,200 psi. Did a lot of research and decided it was not much of a risk as some owners shimmed their pressure up to 1,600 or 1,800 psi.

If you're interested in increasing your psi, I can post some links to other sites with info on how to do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -mounted-jd-3-jpg  
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4320

Thanks for all the information. After looking at all the options and costs I decided not to order 1. I was concerned about the hydraulic limitations and the ballast was getting extremely expensive fast.

Todd

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Oops, I should have directed my reply to welcomematt, not the OP. Sorry
    Chris

2 acres and a mule, er, Kubota BX25, and too many other toys,er, tools to list.