deere 425 AWS

/ deere 425 AWS #1  

JZavoda

Looking to sell my John Deere AWS 425 tractor. It has 925 hours on the unit. However it just had the linkage that connects the front stearing to the rear steering area break. Unfortunately I am no motor head and I am not sure how to fix this unit so I am off to purchase a new deere lawn mower on Monday. I have a spare set of wheels 4 wheels and rims that I purchased for this tractor back approx. 9 years ago but I am not sure what something like this is worth. It is built like a tank and always starts right up... Any ideas what I should ask, Middletown, PA.

PS... Any pros or cons I am looking to purchase a smaller X300 series to replace this one.

Thanks

jzavoda1312@comcast.net

/ deere 425 AWS #2  
J it is a pretty easy repair. On mine the ball came out of the socket. I believe the rod is non repairable. So you buy the rod assembly which is expensive. two nuts hold it in and you are back in business. I rarely see a running 425 for less than $3500. Have you had to replace the timing gear yet? They go sooner or later. Mine has about the same hours as yours and it is still hanging in there.

Chris

/ deere 425 AWS #3  
I just noticed that your 425 is a newer one. I think the timing gear was an issue before 1999. Forget I mentioned it.

Chris

/ deere 425 AWS #4  
As mentioned, I think you will be sorry if you don't fix this one and keep it. You won't find a better one out there....neither newer or older. IMO. (ps unless you find a 455 diesel :D)

/ deere 425 AWS #5  
J it is a pretty easy repair. On mine the ball came out of the socket. I believe the rod is non repairable. So you buy the rod assembly which is expensive. two nuts hold it in and you are back in business. I rarely see a running 425 for less than $3500. Have you had to replace the timing gear yet? They go sooner or later. Mine has about the same hours as yours and it is still hanging in there.

Chris

My Dad bought a good used 425AWS with 700 hrs last summer for less than $2000. I think be paid $1700. It has been a good mower.

/ deere 425 AWS #6  
I'd get the new linkage rod and repair it before buying an x300 series. You have a great machine there, and some say it's the best series JD made.

I agree with you...:)

/ deere 425 AWS #7  
Buck I don't think I have ever seen a 425 for less than $2000 around here. Even bad parts machines at the auction go for close to that much. Your dad got a real good deal.

Chris

/ deere 425 AWS #8  
J if you go down to deer country(Landis brothers) in Mount Joy the parts guys will print you the page from the exploded parts diagram for what you are working on.

Chris

/ deere 425 AWS #9  
J if you go down to deer country(Landis brothers) in Mount Joy the parts guys will print you the page from the exploded parts diagram for what you are working on.

Chris

You and him can both do that yourself by registering for free at www.jdparts.com :D

There is a quick tutorial linked in my signature if you need help with it.

/ deere 425 AWS #10  
Buck I don't think I have ever seen a 425 for less than $2000 around here. Even bad parts machines at the auction go for close to that much. Your dad got a real good deal.

Chris

Pennwalk I was mistaken asked Dad tonight and he paid $2500. The $1700 was his out of pocket after he sold his other mower. Don't tell my wife I made a mistake she thinks I'm perfect:)