JD 170 Question

/ JD 170 Question #1  

mgab36

I have JD170, front axle is broken and i have a replacement part. trying to get front two bolts but it looks like the motor has to come out to do this.

i got the 4 bolts where the engine is mounted to the crossmember pulled but still cant get enought movement to get to the front axle bolts.

does anybody have a diagram or any info on how to get the motor off the frame? i can pull completely if i need to but it looks like i really just need to slide the motor forward about 2 inches to get enough room to get to the axle bolts.

any help is much appreciated!!

/ JD 170 Question #2  
Give Me The Tractor Serial # & I Can Pop ya a Diagram

JL :cool:

/ JD 170 Question
i actually got my local dealer to print the pages from the service manual for me, so i have what i need. Thanks though!!

/ JD 170 Question #4  
Hey No Worries, But There Is an Online Manual For All Jd Tractors

/ JD 170 Question
I did not realize that...where can i get it?

/ JD 170 Question #6  
mgab36,

Several years ago the front axle pivot flange broke on my JD175 (hydro version of the 170). After loosening and removing the engine mounting bolts and some chassis supports, I was able to use a thin open end wrench to remove the axle mounting bolts. I had the axle welded and the flange beefed up to make sure that it would not break again. Installation was little more difficult and tedious, since there was no slop like with the broken axle. I did not see an easy way to remove the engine without taking the whole front end apart, but then I don't have the shop manual.

David

/ JD 170 Question
Thanks For all the help guys! i do appreciate it.