Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C #1  

Vic_N

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4044R
After one lawn cut last summer I found black powder all over the mower deck and determined the traction drive belt was slowly wearing out. I replaced it: problem solved.

Now I'm having the problem again and the traction drive belt looks just fine. The belt has 95 hours on it. I replaced the deck belt just in case, cleaned the deck and cut the lawn again...same problem. Fyi...the engine is 100% fine.

The top of the PTO clutch has a fresh coating of black powder on it. Apparently, the traction drive belt must be slowly disintegrating though I cannot spot where.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Could my drive belt be too loose? Or with a mower with 425 hours on it should I expect to replace the drive belt every year?

This thing is driving me nuts.

Vic

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C #2  
Vic, I had the same thing happen to me with a GX335 a couple of years ago. I also thought the belts were going bad. I talked to my contact at my dealer and he sent me a notice from JD regarding lots of black powder (SIB 96-11-47-7). Quoting:

COMPLAINT OR SYMPTOM:
- In hot weather, mower deck is covered with a soot like material or belt dust.
- Dust on deck looks like it comes from engine exhaust or belt.

SITUATION: The black soot like material is a lawn spore, a type of lawn mold. It is prevalent only with the temperature is hot and/or in dry conditions. This same condition also exists in the Spring with what is commonly know as "snow mold".

SOLUTION: Do not change belts, There is no problem with the tractor mower deck. As the local conditions change, (rain or cooler temperatures), the lawn mold spores will go away.

Hope this helps
Dave

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C #3  
Just in case it is not as stated above , I would check the tension of the belts as they sound like they are slipping and suffering premature wear .

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C
Dave,

Wow! I wouldn't have thought of that in a thousand years. I'll pursue that a bit further to learn more. Thank you.

Iron Horse,

I checked belt tension again yesterday and I believe both the drive and deck belts are sufficiently tight. Thank you for your suggestion.

Vic

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C #5  
Nice To Hear Everything Turned Out Okay, I Aswell Get a Gray Dust All Over The Deck & Tractor Caused By Excess Grass Left Out Like Dave Said, So You Should be Just Fine, & I Suggest For The Belts Go To Your Local Dealer Your Better Off In The Long Run, Trust Me :thumbsup: I Have Learned the Hard Way With After Market Belt Replacements, The Life Span Is a Fraction Of The OEM Belt.

JL :cool:

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C #6  
I too get the lawn spores as well at certain times of the summer, and can see where concern for the belt chaffing would pop into mind. :)

Usually about the only time I wash my deck, instead of just blowing it off with the air hose. Those spores stick pretty tight.

/ Odd Problem With Black Powder on 190C
JD110,

I agree. I always buy JD brand parts.

Been There,

Yes, that stuff is wicked to clean off.

Vic

Last edited: