John Deere 455 Garden tractor

/ John Deere 455 Garden tractor #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Hi.....Does anyone have any idea or knowledge about putting a tachometer on the Yanmar engine.
Thanks.....Casey

/ John Deere 455 Garden tractor #5  
Sounds like there is an easy answer so this is probably more than you want to do. But FWIW you might be able to add a factory mechanical tach. The 755 also uses the 3TNA72 engine. The drawings show the 455 has a cover plate where the tach gearbox attaches on the 755. The gearbox along with the cable and tach could probably be added to the 455. This would be more expensive than the Tiny-Tach. Those three parts add up to about $175. The tach alone is $100 dollars of that total.

Attachments

• 455 tach plate.jpg
    455 tach plate.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 709
  • 755 tach mount.jpg
    755 tach mount.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 895
  • 755 tach parts.jpg
    755 tach parts.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 368
   / John Deere 455 Garden tractor
Sounds like there is an easy answer so this is probably more than you want to do. But FWIW you might be able to add a factory mechanical tach. The 755 also uses the 3TNA72 engine. The drawings show the 455 has a cover plate where the tach gearbox attaches on the 755. The gearbox along with the cable and tach could probably be added to the 455. This would be more expensive than the Tiny-Tach. Those three parts add up to about $175. The tach alone is $100 dollars of that total.

HI....Yes that looks like a possibility. The tiny tach is a nice tidy package for about $100 and I'd guess 1-2 hours labor. (I'm a slow worker). Thanks for the info. I'm also investigating a heater for the cab.
Thanks.....Casey

/ John Deere 455 Garden tractor #7  
On the JD 455 Yanmar diesel, would the transducer be mounted to one of the three fuel lines after the injector pump?

Attachments

• 455_injector_pump.JPG
    455_injector_pump.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,358
   / John Deere 455 Garden tractor #9  
   / John Deere 455 Garden tractor #10  
Well, yes I have experience with Tiny Tachs. But not on diesels. I have several on gas engines and they just work and work year after year. I would highly recommend them.

There are other versions out there that look a lot like a Tiny Tach ---- they aren't so good. Stick with Tiny Tach.