John Deere 160

/ John Deere 160 #1  

tude

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere A
I have a 1980's John Deere 160 lawn tractor and need to remove the front axle for repair. The welded sleeve on which the axle pivots has broken off. I checked JD parts online hoping it would show how the axle was attached but it just showed the axle. Also the axle in the parts book is a different design than mine. Anyone remove the axle on their older John Deere 130-170 and can give me a few pointers?

/ John Deere 160 #2  
I just purchased the technical manual for this model (I have the 165). I copied a schematic of the exploded axle view, and copied four pictures with the instructions that were listed in the manual under axle removal. I'm not sure if this is what you need, but I figured I'd try anyway. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the details, so let me know. The manual goes into great detail for everything on this lawn tractor. Found it on e-Bay for $14 and it was worth it.

Attachments

• Front Axle.jpg
    Front Axle.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 13,557
  • Front Axle_2.jpg
    Front Axle_2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,967
   / John Deere 160 #3  
Here is the details that go with the schematic shown in my previous post:

INSPECT AND REPAIR FRONT WHEEL AND AXLE ASSEMBLIES
1. Inspect wheel bearings for wear. If wheel wobbles when rotated or bearings are visually worn, replace
bearings.

a. Remove bearings from wheel by driving them out with a punch.
b. Put multi-purpose grease on new bearings.
c. Drive new bearings into wheel hub with driver.

2. Inspect tie rod and drag link for bent condition. Inspect ball joints for wear and free movement. Replace any worn or bent parts.

3. Put spindle in axle and check spindle bore for wear or being out-of-round. Replace worn parts.

4. Apply multi-purpose grease on spindles before installing in axle.

5. Grease wheel bearings and pack cavity between bearings with multi-purpose grease and put a small
amount on axle.

/ John Deere 160
Thanks for the pictures and steps for removal. It looked like I would have to remove the muffler when I inspected the tractor. Your removal page confirms my observation. My front axle seems to be of a different configuration. Instead of the hanger plates shown in the parts breakdown I have a sleeve fillet welded directly to the axle. I noticed play in the steering assembly when mowing the lawn. The fillet weld is broken and the entire axle will move before the front wheels start turning. I guess I got a repair project for the winter.

/ John Deere 160
I finally got time and started removing the axle. I need to remove the electric pto clutch to access the last two bolts. Anyone have a idea on how the clutch is removed?

/ John Deere 160 #6  
I'd hate to raise this thread from the dead, but tude, did you ever figure out that front axle problem? I have the 160 but I think I have your axle configuration, because mine does not have the hangers. My anchor pivot had both of the caps screws holes (one on either side) break. Also I think the pivot shaft may be damaged or worn. Any tips would be appreciated regarding the clutch removal.

/ John Deere 160
I got the axle off and had a friend weld a repair. I used it at the last two summers and once this spring. The repair weld didn't hold. My friend had a problem with his welder as the wire feed wasn't smooth due to a bad liner. I knew it might fail but installed it and hoped for the best. I will be removing it for a second repair. It's located at my vacation home and I have a back up mower to cut the grass. Removing the clutch was easy. I think I just removed a single bolt and the clutch slid off the engine shaft. Make sure you disconnect the electrical connector. My problem is that I visit the second home every other weekend and spend most of my time on yard maintenance. Getting a whole day to work on the mower is hard. My backup mower is a 1996 MTD that Kmart sold and was given to me. It doesn't have the same quality as the JD 160 but starts every time I turn the key and does a nice job mowing the lawn.