new jd x320

/ new jd x320 #1  

castiman

Silver Member
Tractor
jd 2520,jd x530
I'm thinking about buying a new x320, for my dad who is 81 . He has an older lx 176 that still runs pretty good but he's mowing about 2 acres, and I just think the bigger tractor will be more comfortable for him. I have a 2305 but he has a hard time getting on it so I wanted sometime smaller but bigger than the 176. Is this a good solid tractor I need some input before I go see a dealer.

/ new jd x320 #2  
How is his arm/shoulder strength? The 320 will be easier to steer than the 176 but at 81 I would get him a unit with power steering, if the 360 is out of your budget maybe a late model used one or a used GX345, just a suggestion. Either way I'm sure he will be pleased with a newer machine.

/ new jd x320 #3  
I agree with moving up to the 360 if his lawn is open for most of it. He will be able to use it for a longer period of time with the power steering and hydraulic deck lift. The 360 is about 20% faster mowing speed for the times you have to help out. The upgrade is about $850 over a 320 with discounts, well worth the extra cost. Nice to hear you are taking care of Dad.:D

/ new jd x320 #4  
My dad is 80 and has diabetes and the associated maladies that go with it. I got him a 360 (and then upgraded him to a 720). He could operate the 360 no sweat, but it was a bit small when I undertook mowing my elderly aunt's place as well. For a 1-2 acre lawn and an elderly operator, it is a great little mower. I, too, would recommend going up to that v. the 320.

John M

/ new jd x320 #5  
castiman said:
I'm thinking about buying a new x320, for my dad who is 81 . He has an older lx 176 that still runs pretty good but he's mowing about 2 acres, and I just think the bigger tractor will be more comfortable for him. I have a 2305 but he has a hard time getting on it so I wanted sometime smaller but bigger than the 176. Is this a good solid tractor I need some input before I go see a dealer.

We got our dad one with 4wheel power steering. At 82 he uses it to mow 5 acres. The mower he was using was a JD with the deck out front. He likes both but he the power steering the most. It also has a 54 inch deck which helps speed things up.