What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V?

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #1  

BobOB

Tractor
1986 John Deere 165
I have a 1987 John Deere 165 that won't start. I brought it into the service center and the mechanic stated it needs a major overhaul. He recommends replacing the engine. If I can't find a decent replacement FB460V, does anyone know if there is a another engine that will fit the JD 165?

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #2  
   / What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #3  
   / What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #4  
That's a hand pull walk behind lawn mower engine. How is he supposed to start it and where does it say it's a replacement for an electric start Kaw FB460V?

Maybe I am missing something.

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #5  
That's a hand pull walk behind lawn mower engine. How is he supposed to start it and where does it say it's a replacement for an electric start Kaw FB460V?

Maybe I am missing something.

Did you miss the :)laughing:) smilie?

Actually the motot will fit but this is a 23 year old mower, depends on what a person is willing to invest.

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #6  
Tulsa Warehouse states the engine has provisions for electric start. "Kohler Command ProItem: PA-41582CV15T Command Series 15.0 HP - 1" x 3 5/32" crankshaft, recoil start w/provisions for electric, 15 amp stator, with oil filter, no fuel pump, with muffler" I would guess if such is available a vertical shaft Honda with a 1" x 3 5/32" crankshaft would also fit.

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #7  
Here is a Kohler that will work with the added bonus of 15 hp instead of the original 12.5 hp. It might be debated whether it really has more hp as this has been a recent issue with all of these small engines.

This is the result of a two minute search for you.:laughing:

Kohler Engine Number PA-41582, 15.0 HP Model: CV15T-41582 Command Series - On sale with free shipping at Tulsa Engine Warehouse!

I think we have a similar engine on our Ferris (the replacement after the original exploded, but that's another story :)).

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V?
Thank all of you for your feedback. I did find a replacement unit on E-Bay and can't wait to have it installed. My neighbor and I will try to re-build the original motor and keep it as a back up. Can't hurt it! Does anybody know if there are still parts available or kits to rebuild this older engine?

I looked up the Kohler motor and will book mark it for future reference. I love my 165 and want to keep it working.

/ What Engine Replaces Kawasaki FB460V? #9  
If you are handy around a shop, I think you could make any vertical shaft engine work provided it has the same diameter and length output shaft.

You will probabally want electric start, all though not a must. And I am pretty sure you need a motor that has a fuel pump. Because the tank is under the seat and not above the engine.

And for what it's wotrh, I have an '89 JD240 tractor that has the FC420V engine. It is 14HP and it would probabally bolt right in. So If you run across any of them, they may be worth a look if the price is right. I really like these older KAW engines. Dad bought it new back in 1989 to mow his 3.5 acres with. In 2001 he bought a ZTR and I bought it off of him and have been mowing my 2.5acres with it every since. Havent had to touch to motor at all other than oil changes.

My FIL has a 240 as well. He bought his new in '90 and has been mowing 2.5 acres with it and same story, no problems whatsoever.