54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #1  

ATCtech

Tractor
Deere X540
Does anyone have any experience and thoughts about either of these add-on deflector kits for the 54" deck? I use the mulching kit pretty much all summer but ever year at this time I kick myself for not investigating either of these kits to better bag leaves with the Power-Flo system. The bagger system works well, but there's no doubt a lot of chopped up debris does get out from under the deck, especially at the front-right corner. Lowering the deck helps, but only to a point, then the thickness of the leaves turns it into a bit of a plow.

I saw some old posts about them, but I didn't spot anything definitive as to their effectiveness.

Thanks!

Bob

Last edited:
   / 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #2  
It's been a long time ago since I had my JD425 with a 54in deck with the mulch kit, but the best investment was the anti-blowout kit. I have never had a mower since then that mulched up leaves and left a very clean path afterwards like that setup did. In my opinion, it worked and was worth the money.

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #3  
when the bags are empty not much comes out from under the deck. I have the anti blowout kit because I thought there were a lot of leaves coming out but it didn't make much difference

the only time chopped up leaves come out from under the deck is when the bags start getting full.

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #4  
I have the anti-blowout kits on both of my decks. I guess they help but I am not sure. I do know that if I have the gator blades on with the bagger there is more blowout. The other blades I have are the stock blades.

Chris

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #5  
thanks for the input pennwalk

I have only 100hours on my x320 but I was thinking of switching to gator blades when the original blades wear out because I was thinking the finer mulched leaves would pack in more in the bags and take up less space. it is nice to know ahead of time that they blow out more.

one thing I have noticed is that, contrary to what I thought, it actually works better when the leaves are a little wet, if they are too dry the exhaust on my tractor sometimes blows the leaves out from in front of the mower and they don't chop up as finely when they are too dry. they tend to stay whole

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #6  
I was thinking the finer mulched leaves would pack in more in the bags and take up less space

That's right The gator blades do chop the leaves finer and I do get more in but for some reason the blow-out bothers me. I have to admit that this time of year an hour after I get the leaves up the lawn is sprinkled with leaves again so what difference does a little blow-out make. I can't help it. :D

I also as the bags fill up and I get more blow-out I can stop and lift the top of the bagger and a double handful of chopped leaves falls off the exhaust screen. Then the blow-out will be less for a little while. Still it's a lot better than raking.

Chris

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #7  
The leaves bag and pack in 3 times as good when they are wet. Not soaking wet, but even just a heavy dew in the morning. Then they don't blow away, and they pack in like dirt. They are **** and flexable, and squeeze down to 1/3 size.

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit
I agree with pennwalk 100% - I hate retracing my steps because of the crap blowing out the front of the deck, not to mention the build-up of leaves on the right side of the deck itself.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it certainly explains why I didn't see any glowing reviews in older posts. I noticed in the 2010 accessories catalog there are now high-lift blades for the 54X deck, something I've looked for in previous years and never found. I'm going talk to the dealer on Monday and if it's true I'll order them and see if they make bagging any cleaner. I'll also get prices on the 2 add-on kits for the deck and make a decision based on cost vs. the likely improvement either would make.

Bob

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit
I confirmed this week that there are now high-lift blades available for the 54X deck, a new addition to the accessories catalog. I'll be adding them next fall before leaf season. The leaf kit (3 piece deflector) is $139 CDN, the blades about $22 a piece.

Bob

/ 54" Deck - Leaf Kit / Anti Blow-out Kit #10  
I find that just backing over the leaves with OE blades does an excellant job of chopping and spreading fines.
I use X320 48" deck with 330 hours on it maintaing 3.5 acres.