X340 or X500

/ X340 or X500 #1  

rexwagon

Tractor
JD L120
My L120 has finally bitten the dust. The transmission is shot and it has a leaking head gasket. Bot in 03, now has 485 hours on it. I really can't complain too much as I beat the **** out of that tractor including pushing snow for years.

I have 2+ acres of a flat to hilly yard to mow. I've looked at used GTs or GXs but with the 500 bucks off right now and full new warranties a new tractor is what I've decided on.

Now I need some advice, on which tractor to get. I like the traction assist with the 500 and the larger size would be nice with the hills but the 340 is certainly much better than my 120. Basically is the 500 worth the grand more?

Last edited:
   / X340 or X500 #2  
I'm actually wondering the exact same thing right now. I have the same size yard as you and it's mostly uphill. It's a matter of a few short hours before my 1042 cub gives up. I never do anything ground engaging and I have a brand new Honda snowblower so I won't be using the tractor in the winter. I do pull a rather heavy cyclone rake in the fall for leaf cleanup and a utility trailer throughout the year. I mulch the grass. My question is the same in regards to the x500 vs an x360 which for 1000 less includes power steering and deck lift but gives up diff lock and heavier duty transaxle among other things.

/ X340 or X500
My wife wants to kill me...after visiting my local JD Dealer today, again, I think I am open to a used tractor as well.

They had a 2003 GT245 with 700 hours and a 54" deck for $3,500 and a 2004 GT235 with 260 hours and a power flow bagger for $2,600.

Really struggling with this decision :confused:

/ X340 or X500 #4  
The 245 price seems a little high with that many hours on it and the 235 ended production in 03 according th the JD web site although both are good tractors. Check with the dealer for sure. The 235 only gives up 2 hp and even though you mulch the bagger would come in handy for leaves in the fall. Sounds like you have a tough choice. I will say this the 500 has easy steering for not having hydraulics but due to the tranny it is more durable than a 360 but everything you have looked at is better than what you have.

/ X340 or X500 #5  
Ask you wife which one she wants to drive!:thumbsup: Then decide.

I like my 500...with the hills and ditches the rear wheel lock comes in handy more than once.

/ X340 or X500
My wife is tired of me looking and just wants me to get the 500. Just a lot of money for a tractor....

/ X340 or X500 #7  
My wife is tired of me looking and just wants me to get the 500. Just a lot of money for a tractor....

Just remember, you get what you pay for. 500 is a great tractor.

/ X340 or X500 #8  
If you are mainly mowing and your lawn is flat, the X 300 would be almost the equal of the 500. There is very little difference in the feel of the machines (though the 360 is the one I recommend in that line). If your lawn has slopes and ditches, the extra weight and diff lock of the 500 is worth the price difference. I think which one you choose in large part depends on this question. In addition, if you are planning to do any real gardening such as tilling or snow removal, obviously the 500 is the better choice. Frequently, folks buy machines though thinking they are going to do these things and they never do, so keep it real.

John M

/ X340 or X500
John, thank you. I plowed snow with my L120. Funny how the dealer who sold me the plow did not tell me it was not a good idea.

Are the listed prices the final prices or are the dealers willing to negotiate? Just wondering.

/ X340 or X500 #10  
Rexwagon,

I was doing the same soul search along the same machines and the bottom line is what the other guys have posted on the web. The x500 is better built because of it's transmission for the hills and the lock differential that is going to give you years of good service if maintained properly. I'm very glad I made the step up even though it doesn't seem like much on paper for the price difference.

It is like you say.... 1000 bucks more...but it will not be wasted in the long term.
My wife swore that she would never drive it because it was too big...2 years later she's got her earplugs in and mowing right up to the flower beds because it handles so well.

She got sick of me working on the old Gravely every year... It's a sign!:D