JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount?

/ JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount? #1  

Humble Guy

Hi all,

I'm a new member here (though I have been reading the forum for awhile). This is my:

1. First post
2. First tractor
3. First farm

I'm pretty much new to the whole thing -- and I could use some of your expertise. I'm basically a city boy who decided to try his hand at country living.

I picked up my first tractor, a 1980 JD 212. I got it mainly for snowblowing and it worked fine except that without chains and weights I basically spun my wheels. Oh, and now the snowblower doesn't work. I took of the right side panel and I see a linkage hanging down loose instead of being attached to the belt pulley.

BUT -- That isn't the topic of my post!

What I am really curious about is the tiller that I have. This tractor has a hydraulic or electric lift on the front (I don't really know which, other than it isn't manual because it goes up and down without any physical effort). The rear end only has a hitch on the back. I *assume* that the tiller will hook up to the front lift and the belts will run in a similar configuration as the snowblower is attached now.

But, I think I've seen JD 212's with REAR tillers attached. Was I dreaming? Is there some sort of package that you can get to attach implements to the read of a 212?

I'm a little dubious about how well a front mounted tiller will work. . .

Thanks,
HG

/ JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount? #2  
Snow blowers and blades go up front. Ground engaging tools like a tiller or plow go in the rear.

/ JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount?
Snow blowers and blades go up front. Ground engaging tools like a tiller or plow go in the rear.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I would think too. Can you describe briefly how the tiller mounts to the rear? All I see there is a hitch. The front has the lift arms, to which the snowblower is currently mounted.

They gentleman who sold me the tractor and implements seemed to indicate to me that he hooked the tiller up to front just like the snowblower. Was that possible?

Do I need some sort of "rear tiller package" to be installed on the rear end to properly use this tiller?

Appreciate it,
HG

Ah, I might be starting to catch on. After a bit of continued research it looks like I need a "rear-lift kit" and an "integral hitch".

So, now the question becomes. . . if I don't have one, how in the world did the gentleman who sold me this tractor use his tiller? He said he used it. . . could he have hooked it up to the front??

I might have to ask him for some clarification on this, do you think?

HG

/ JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount? #6  
I think you should ask him how it hooks up.

Is it a belt driven tiller? I have a 30" belt driven tiller that hooks up from the rear to the mower deck lift with a separate lift arm to raise and lower the tiller.

Good idea Bruce, thanks. I do believe it is a belt driven tiller. Perhaps it does hook on the rear and is driven by a belt to the mower deck. I just don't see how the tiller attached back there. . . but I am new to this game and probably don't know what I am looking at.

I will ask him.

Woo hoo! Proud to own a John Deere. Not a bad way to start out, right?

HG

/ JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount? #8  
If you have the 30" mechanical tiller this will show you how to install it.

OMM141979_J9

I have one but have yet to install it.

Bruce, thanks a bunch for that link.

I'm thinking that I have a few issues: I don't have a rear lift kit. And, I think I need another pulley assembly that ought to go with the tiller. . .

I was able to ask him how he ran it. Get this:

He hooked up to the front with the same belt he uses on the snowblower and runs the tractor in REVERSE.

Anyone ever hear of something like that??? Is that plausible?

If that isn't a real option, I suppose i need to find the lift kit and the so-called "center mule drive" that fit under the belly.

Anyone have any ideas where I might look for something like that?

Thanks,
HG

/ JD 212 Tiller: rear or front mount? #10  
I have heard of using the tiller without a lift kit. With the lift kit the cut height adjustment lever adjusts the tiller depth. Without it the tiller always runs at full depth. Others have used alternate methods to raise and lower the tiller. Ropes and pulleys would work if the kit is not available.

I am curious what pulley you are missing. It is missing from the tiller or from your 212?

I bought a lift kit for a GT235 on Ebay. I saw 212 lift kits on Ebay while looking for my kit. The dealer did not have the kit but could sell the individual pieces for a higher price.

You can find online parts catalogs at John Deere - Parts Catalog