Snow Plow Questions

/ Snow Plow Questions #1  

Craig B

Tractor
JD 850, JD 430
I have a 1987 JD 430. A friend has a never used snow plow. I dont know the width. It has hydraulic angle and tilt. He is giving it to me since he no longer has a tractor to put it on. I am a bit concerned about moisture and/or corrosion since it has been sitting in his shed for years. I have not seen it but he tells me it looks like new. When I get it should I loosen the hydraulic hoses and drain the fluid (assuming there is some there) and let my tractor refill it it or is there another recommended procedure. It may never have had oil in it.

I will need the frame extension since he does not have this. Does anyone have one cheap?

Thanks!

/ Snow Plow Questions #2  
Is the plow a JD plow? If so, what is the model number/serial number?

If never used, I wouldn't worry about the fluid as there shouldn't be any. Would worry about moisture and corrosion when you see it. Then you will know more about it.

A pic of the snow plow would help a lot.

/ Snow Plow Questions
Yes it is a JD. I do not know any other information.
Maybe I am being overly cautious. But, I tend to err on the side of caution more the older I get. I have learned too many lessons the hard way.

/ Snow Plow Questions #4  
I have a 1987 JD 430. A friend has a never used snow plow. I dont know the width. It has hydraulic angle and tilt. He is giving it to me since he no longer has a tractor to put it on. I am a bit concerned about moisture and/or corrosion since it has been sitting in his shed for years. I have not seen it but he tells me it looks like new. When I get it should I loosen the hydraulic hoses and drain the fluid (assuming there is some there) and let my tractor refill it it or is there another recommended procedure. It may never have had oil in it.

I will need the frame extension since he does not have this. Does anyone have one cheap?

Thanks!

Craig,
once you get the plow you can crack open a fitting and see what the fluid looks like, then make a decision on what you see. i agree it is usual better and less expensive to error on the side of caution.

Roy

/ Snow Plow Questions
Thanks Roy. That was my inclination but I wanted the opinion of others. I think I will try to drain all the fluid as a precaution.
I live in Kentucky and we dont get too much snow however, the blade will come in handy.

/ Snow Plow Questions #6  
Hey. It's FREE. If it doesn't pan out, sell it. Even if you have to go to the dealer and buy the frame extension for around $200, the plow is worth 5 times that. :thumbsup:

/ Snow Plow Questions #7  
I would pull a line off and see what comes out. I had a cylinder laying around (inside an unheated shed) that I found a use for and the cylinder had condensed water in it. I found that by pulling the plugs I had put in the ports when it was removed from service. This was a tie rod cylinder so it was easy to pull apart and clean. There was a little discoloration/rust where the water had been setting that cleaned up nicely with a scotchbrite pad. Probably would have damaged the seals if it had been left as it was. You may need to pull them apart and clean them up. Setting dry would probably be worse yet.

Kim

/ Snow Plow Questions #8  
Craig,
once you get the plow you can crack open a fitting and see what the fluid looks like, then make a decision on what you see. i agree it is usual better and less expensive to error on the side of caution.

Roy

I am X2!

/ Snow Plow Questions
Thanks!

Now if he would only give me the blade. :confused:
He told me about 10 days ago we would pick it up in a few days.

/ Snow Plow Questions
I am supposed to pick the plow up tomorrow morning.
We have had a series of semi-comical and slightly frustrating phone exchanges. :confused2:
I will post pictures if I actually get it. I found out it is used (possibly my misunderstanding) but hey, for free, who cares. I am happy even if it needs a lot of work. He tells me It has been stored inside though.