Too much Weight in the Weight Box?

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box? #1  

captplaid

Bronze Member
Tractor
John DeereX748
Is there such a thing as too much weight in the weight box?

X748 has a blower on the front. It's 4WD. I think I have about 660 pounds in the weight box. The blower is on the front, but I started wondering yesterday if it's possible to have too much weight on the back. Would too much weight on the rear transfer weight off the front axle?

There's about 700 pounds in the 3pt. I think there's 660 pounds in the weight box plus the weight of the box itself. There's 10 steel beer bottle molds. Each half a mold weigh 33 pounds!

Can there be be such a thing as too much weight?

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box? #2  
You can over do anything but how much does the sb weigh? How do the front tires look do they have enough bearing on the ground to steer well?

Just me but I would try this with about 500 lbs in the weight box and would consider adding more weight if necessary. Do you have chains on the 748?

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box? #3  
there is a weight chart on JD website to use as a guide.

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box? #4  
Short answer, you bet. IMO 700 pounds is way too much. You may be surprised how much weight you really need. I would start off with 250lbs and take it from there. I think too many people go nuts with too much weight on the 3PT hitch. Does the owners manual suggest an amount to be used with the snow-blower?

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box? #5  
700 lbs sounds like WAY too much.
My X475 has 6 suitcase weights on the back. Must weigh like 40lbs each? so, thats only 250 lbs.

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box? #6  
Holy moly, ive only got 1000lbs on the back of my kubota 3540 to offset the frontloader.... Put that girl on a diet asap!

/ Too much Weight in the Weight Box?
One website I've found says for every pound added to the back, 1/3pound is transferred off the front end.

So we're looking at over 200 pounds taken off the front tires...almost offsetting the weight of the snow blower.