Which JD Model ?

/ Which JD Model ? #1  

dkostiha

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
I may buy a used JD riding mower, 38-46 inch. I would like to get one of the real JD mowers, not one of the Lowe's models. Hydrostat trans would be nice, but not required. My budget is $500-900 for a good used one. Which models are considered to be very good in this price range ? Which ones should I stay away from too ? Thx.

/ Which JD Model ? #2  
I may buy a used JD riding mower, 38-46 inch. I would like to get one of the real JD mowers, not one of the Lowe's models. Hydrostat trans would be nice, but not required. My budget is $500-900 for a good used one. Which models are considered to be very good in this price range ? Which ones should I stay away from too ? Thx.

I have an LT180 which is 5 1/2 years old. I paid over $3000 new with a grass catcher on the rear. It has performed flawless for the most part. I've only replaced a mower deck spindle bearing set and blades because I seem to like to mow over rocks...:mad: Anyhow, I think I've seen them sell for about $1500 this old. Mine has about 104 hours on it mowing my acre yard.

/ Which JD Model ? #3  
The late 90's early 2000's GT series are heavy duty good machines. My 2001 GT225 has worked hard and not one problem.

You may find some in your price range

/ Which JD Model ? #4  

There is no such thing as a non-real John Deere. They are all manufactured by JD even if they are sold in box stores. You will be hard pressed to find even the most inexpensive model for sale at your budget price of $500-$900. You can find used ones at that price, but most are nothing more than salvage. I would suggest that you add $1000 to your budget and start looking on craigslist for a deal. Even so, you will still be in the class of the LA-models of only one or two years old. If you want the more expensive JD iron, you will have to budget close to $3000 minimum. Nobody is going to sell a good working "Lexus" at a "Tercel" price unless they are a candidate for the 'funny farm.' Just remember though that a Tercel is better than walking.;):thumbsup:

/ Which JD Model ? #5  
I have a LX 279. The LX series was the premium series mowers, and had fully welded frame and is a "rock-solid mower".

Not certain on the LT series. I think the LA series were the Home Depot junkers. They are junk, but close to what you will find with your budget.

I'd save up, and buy a solid machine instead of a low dollar piece of crap thats gonna only last a year or 2. My JD's usually last 30 years, and I expect my LX 279 to also.

/ Which JD Model ? #6  
While the LX series was premium they are lawn tractors and not garden tractors. Which is fine but you need to be careful what you ask of a lawn tractor as the transmissions are not as rugged as those in the GT or GX series.

The poster who said you need to spend 3000+ for a good machine has not either visited a local JD and looked at used tractors or looked at machinefinder.com. There are many good lawn and garden tractors around for less than that.

Just looking around mg area (MD) there are several LTs and LXs for less than 2000. To the OP I think it will be hard to find a quality machine within your budget but if you can spend 1500 I think you could do well.

Good luck

/ Which JD Model ?
Thanks for the feedback thus far. I can spend a little more if needed. It will be used for mowing only as as I have a JD CUT already for bigger chores.

/ Which JD Model ?
I just saw a LX280 with low hours for $1000. Is this a good deal and model ?

/ Which JD Model ? #9  
While the LX series was premium they are lawn tractors and not garden tractors. Which is fine but you need to be careful what you ask of a lawn tractor as the transmissions are not as rugged as those in the GT or GX series.

The poster who said you need to spend 3000+ for a good machine has not either visited a local JD and looked at used tractors or looked at machinefinder.com. There are many good lawn and garden tractors around for less than that.

Just looking around mg area (MD) there are several LTs and LXs for less than 2000. To the OP I think it will be hard to find a quality machine within your budget but if you can spend 1500 I think you could do well.

Good luck

So true, but I didn't think his budget would find him a Garden Tractor! :)
LX is great mower, but by no means tractor.

/ Which JD Model ?
Is the LX 280 a good rig ? I found one with less than 200 hours on it.