Does a 54" deck cut and mulch as good as a 42"

/ Does a 54" deck cut and mulch as good as a 42" #1  

par4n1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Deere x575
All things equal will I loose any cut quality or mulching ability with a 54" deck v/s a 42" Deck? I need a new mower and I have found a deal I cant pass up but is has a much bigger deck then I need. I mowed in the past with a 46" but after the loss of my mower I had decieded to go with a smaller, two blade42" deck.
Geesh now this great deal has me going the other way. Any pit falls with the 54"?
Thank you

/ Does a 54" deck cut and mulch as good as a 42" #2  
The 54'' I think is the better cutting deck, then the smaller ones. I got 2 54'' decks and a 48'' deck. Always cut with the 54's unless I'm using the tractors for some else. Plus you get done a little faster!!

/ Does a 54" deck cut and mulch as good as a 42"
interesting, I would have thought a smaller deck to have more of a finnished look. I figure 10 laps around the yard and I am done. How about mulching with a john Deere mulching kit? I can't imagine bagging with out a power flo.

/ Does a 54" deck cut and mulch as good as a 42" #4  
I don't have a JD mower, but I think the answer depends at least in part on how level/smooth your lawn is.

The lawn at my farm has several swales. I switched from a 42" RE mower to a 61" ZTR mower this past summer. The wider mower deck "spans" some of the swales and leaves an uneven cut -- the grass is left longer in the bottom of the swales. I'm not a lawn fanatic so the reduced mowing time of the wider deck more than compensates for the uneven cut.

Just my :2cents:

Steve

/ Does a 54" deck cut and mulch as good as a 42" #5  
I don't have a JD mower, but I think the answer depends at least in part on how level/smooth your lawn is.

The lawn at my farm has several swales. I switched from a 42" RE mower to a 61" ZTR mower this past summer. The wider mower deck "spans" some of the swales and leaves an uneven cut -- the grass is left longer in the bottom of the swales. I'm not a lawn fanatic so the reduced mowing time of the wider deck more than compensates for the uneven cut.

Just my :2cents:

Steve

Exactly, but I still would never go smaller than the 54 I have on my X475. Love that mow deck.