Dead Battery Problem: Nugget!

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #1  

BobOB

Tractor
1986 John Deere 165
I've needed to replace my JD 165 battery every year. I've noticed on several forums, people have had issues with battery draining problems, also. I think I finally found a solution.

After replacing my motor, I needed another battery. I was told to check out Walmart's prices, since they are significantly less expensive than most retailers. I talked to the Automotive Department Manager about my problem and he immediately had an answer which really makes sense. He stated that because lawn tractors sit low to the ground and have small tires, unless the unit is used frequently, the battery will slowly trickle out through the tires (going to ground). This is a common problem for those who ride motor cycles here in the Pacific Northwest and don't ride them during the winter months (their batteries go dead). The solution they've come up with is making sure they have a strong battery to start with, and attach a battery maintainer (example: Schumacher SpeedCharge Battery Maintainer and Charger). One other thing the Manager told me was, never to place a battery on concrete, dirt or asphalt unless its sitting on heavy cardboard, or wood. It will drain quickly. The reason batteries sold in stores are kept on racks vs. on the floor is for this very reason...nugget!

I purchased a new battery and hooked up the maintainer, and it works. The concept is simple. It trickle charges the battery automatically and maintains its charge. For those that keep the tractor outdoors, there is a solar unit. I had one of those on a vehicle that I seldom used, and it too worked. What I like about the maintainer, is that there is a quick couple that you attach directly to the battery so that you don't have to put clips on the terminals. They also include battery clips if you'd rather use them. I like keeping the quick connect hooked up.

I invested $24 dollars in a new battery, received a $9 return core fee on the old battery, and spent $17 on the maintainer. Even if it fails in a year, it was cheaper than buying a high priced battery.

I wouldn't post this if I didn't believe in what the manager discussed with me. He has been in the automotive and battery business for years and really knows what he's talking about.

I hope this helps those having problems, and if someone thinks the info is bogus, please post it. I'd be curious to see if others have success with this type device. :)

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #2  
To BoboB
That is why he is the Manager of a Auto parts, I have heard all those urban legends. The Battery usually goes dead because it internally chemically discharges. Sitting on concrete (no ) . The battery trickle charger is the most correct part it keeps the battery in a chemical active state. A lead acid battery only has so many charge discharge cycles before it starts to sulfate.
The following is a true story about a lead acid battery. A new $40,000 floor sweeper machine was purchased and the charger was wired by an other electrician. The sweeper
driver said he was only getting 45 minutes run on the machine before it was near dead. He put it on the charger and the next day again 45 minutes dead. This went on for 6 months. They called the service company and were fed goop about water level etc. 2 weeks later I just happen to pass the machine when the sales rep again returned but now he was dealing with me. I did a hydrometer test and the battery was almost water. The short of the long I checked the voltage taps on the charger and they were set wrong. I corrected that and spoke to the senior electrical engineer at the charger company and was Emailed minor charger setting corrections until the battery improved. The engineer said the new battery was SULFATED and had a 50/50 chance of recovery. I worked the charger and after 1.5 months the battery is almost back to the factory run time of 4.5 hrs.
If you sit a battery on a cold floor it will not have the max output. The trickle charger will keep it warm. Riding lawn mowers have a thankless life, poor charging , high vibration , and possible internal dicharges.
Craig Clayton

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget!
I appreciate your comments, and you probably are right. I do know that the maintainer device is making a difference. Overall, I can't complain about the price. I got tired of spending the big bucks for name brand batteries just to replace them a year later. Thank you for your comments.

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #4  
Bogus! That's not the word for it! April 1st is still 4 months away. FYI, I have some ocean side property in Montana for sale. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Now cut him some slack he is only saying what he was told. LOL Personally I have never heard of a battery draining more because of the size of tires a vehicle has. Where I work, about 2 months ago they gave me a riding mower, which hadn"t been cranked in two years. I brought it home and put it on a trickle charger overnight and the next day it fired fight up with no assist. It held a charge for about 2 weeks, and cranked again with no assist. Next time I tried it, no go, but boosted it and it fired up. I have it on a float charger now and am sure if I tried it, it would crank. The main thing is keeping the battery charged, especially in cold weather. If you don"t have or can"t afford a small battery charger, just crank it about once a week and let the engine run for 10 minutes to keep it charged. By the way how much do you want for that Montana ocean side property? I am looking for somewhere to retire in my golden years. It must be ocean front though and not a few blocks off it. LOL zman :D:thumbsup::laughing::cool:

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #5  
Maybe that's why there are so few electric start push mowers; little wheels - can't keep batteries in them very long. :thumbsup:

Good one! I have had so many people tell me the concrete floor grounding out the battery thing so many times through the years. Never mind all the real problems batteries have, we have to make stuff up. I have never heard the one about the wheel/tire size tho..:laughing::laughing:

James K0UA

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #6  
Maybe that's why there are so few electric start push mowers; little wheels - can't keep batteries in them very long. :thumbsup:

...and remote control cars. It's not that kids run them constantly until the batteries are drained, it's the discharge through the small tires.:laughing:

The best advice BobOB got was to purchase a maintainer. Keeping a good charge on the battery and not letting it get low in freezing weather is also good. Batteries with low charge freeze quicker than with a full charge. I have had super luck with the battery in my 2004 Kawasaki Mule. This year is 6 years of perfect performance even with a bedlift I often run without the engine running. That Yuasa OEM battery has been splendid! ...as I knock firmly on my wooden desk.:rolleyes:

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #7  
Bob, many years ago when battery cases were made from hard rubber carbon was used as a colourant. Those batteries could discharge through the case.:)

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #8  
Bob, many years ago when battery cases were made from hard rubber carbon was used as a colourant. Those batteries could discharge through the case.:)

Then the electron flow would be between the terminals wouldnt it ? not to ground. just like if you get enough dirt and moisture on a modern battery it can have some current flow between the terminals. Ground has nothing to do with a battery.

James K0UA

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget! #9  
He stated that because lawn tractors sit low to the ground and have small tires, unless the unit is used frequently, the battery will slowly trickle out through the tires (going to ground).

Wow! Never heard that one before. Hard to believe he said that without cracking a smile.

Now you know to stay away from him when you need automotive/mechanical advice.

/ Dead Battery Problem: Nugget!
Now that everyone has corrected me on my previous post (and I do appreciate it...lessons learned), I wanted to update you on the trickle charger system. Its working flawlessly and no more dead battery issues. I've attached a picture of the unit and the quick-connect.

Since I keep this tractor in the garage, its always plugged in, however I do have a solar charger that I can use outdoors when I keep it out for a few days.

Attachments

• Charger quick connect.JPG
    Charger quick connect.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Trickle Charger Set Up.JPG
    Trickle Charger Set Up.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 198