(i'm thinking it's the board,not the pto switch, but
waiting anxiously for your progress! )

:D

/ JD 455 Starter Interlock Problem
All back together and working perfectly. $18.53

/ JD 455 Starter Interlock Problem #13  
cool, glad it worked out

/ JD 455 Starter Interlock Problem #14  
Old thread, but Jeffinsgf, glad you got it fixed for only a $18 part.

Houston we have a problem. Planned to mow the grass today....Turned the key on the 455, let the glow plug light go off, then tried to crank it. Heard the click of the starter trying to turn the crank, but nothing. The battery is about 4-5 years old so I thought it might be a low battery so tried jump starting it with my truck- no success.

Don't have a working multimeter, but it doesn't appear to be a bad safety switch, fuse, or connection- I can hear the fuel pump and starter click trying to turn. I'm guessing it's just a bad starter (731 hours on mower). The starter is about a $440 part from the dealer, but I can find one online with a 2 year warranty for about $100.

However, I'm not 100% positive it is a defective starter and don't want to waste time and $$$ replacing any part until I can verify it is defective and causing the problem.

Have any of you 400 series owners experienced a similar problem or does anyone have experience installing a starter on the 455? Not sure if its worth paying the dealer $$$$ to do it all, or try to save a few bucks and tackle it myself.

/ JD 455 Starter Interlock Problem #15  
I'd replace the battery first. It is time and that is what worked for me after last winter. If I recall, booster battery didn't work for one reason or another, and new battery did the trick.

/ JD 455 Starter Interlock Problem #16  
I'd replace the battery first. It is time and that is what worked for me after last winter. If I recall, booster battery didn't work for one reason or another, and new battery did the trick.

Funny you say that. Got my tools out earlier today to take the battery cables off the terminals and remove the battery. First thing I noticed is that the positive cable was loose :laughing:. Tightened it down and the mower started up just fine :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
   / JD 455 Starter Interlock Problem #17  
That is good to hear. :thumbsup: