John deere 325 vs. John Deere GT 235

/ John deere 325 vs. John Deere GT 235 #1  

jltrent

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
They are both in good shape with around 300 hours and both are 2001 models. Price wise the 325 is $300 higher. Which is the better machine, has the better transmission. I don't know much about mowers and was needing some input. Thanks for any help.

/ John deere 325 vs. John Deere GT 235
The GT has a 48c deck and the 325 has a 44 Piranha mulching deck. Dose anybody know anything about the Piranha deck?

/ John deere 325 vs. John Deere GT 235 #3  
I think they may, repeat may, have the same transmission. Main thing you gain w/ the 325 is hyd. deck lift. That possibly is appealing to you as me, get on or off either side. I'm not familiar with the Piranha deck. I would expect the typical 48c to do about as well with Gator blades on it - also, the 48" deck will enable you to cut closer to objects as it sticks out a little further. If the Piranha deck is a mulch-only deck, you don't have the chute sticking out on the right. Hopefully someone will step in with extra info soon - Good Luck with your decision!

/ John deere 325 vs. John Deere GT 235 #4  
the 325 also has a steering box similar to that in a car with manual steering. The GT has sector and pinion. The 325 is the better machine. The mulch deck is fine as long as you like mowing. If you let the grass get high or mow wet, it will throw clumps out the back. Great for chowing leaves though. The decks should be interchangeable. You may be able to persuade the seller to swap them.

/ John deere 325 vs. John Deere GT 235 #5  
the 325 also has a steering box similar to that in a car with manual steering. The GT has sector and pinion. The 325 is the better machine. The mulch deck is fine as long as you like mowing. If you let the grass get high or mow wet, it will throw clumps out the back. Great for chowing leaves though. The decks should be interchangeable. You may be able to persuade the seller to swap them.

You've been given good advice. The hyd. lift would be nice if you ever want to add a front blade or blower. For $300, I would go with the 325, and see about switching decks to get the 48c. I've never been a big fan of the Piranha deck. IMHO it is too small for these machines.