John Deere 325

/ John Deere 325 #1  

jltrent

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota
I just bought a JD 325 2001 model with 306 hours on it for $2200 and looks almost new. It has liquid for weight in the back tires. My yard is two acres, but not very steep, do I need the extra weight? I figure the extra weight will shorten the life of the machine. Also I believe taking the weight out will give it more power (18 hp twin). I have changed the engine oil and checked it all over and next changing the transmission oil and filter. I put Castro 30W and a Super-tech 4967 oil filter on it. I will be doing nothing but mowing with the mower. So far it seems to beat the heck out of the old Murray I have, but no grass to mow yet.

/ John Deere 325
I have always used 30W in all the small engines I have ever owned and have never had any trouble engine block compression oil usage wise. Also I noticed on the lid to the box on the mower that this was acceptable if you were operating above 32 degrees, so that was the reason.

/ John Deere 325
The main reason I was asking about the extra weight was it seems the mower is not eat up with power climbing hills and when the mower is engaged. The motor seems fine, but 18 HP is not much. I have a JD 5210 and I added weights to the wheels and the extra weight did seems to cut down on power.

/ John Deere 325 #4  
There is alot of weight on the front end of that mower with relatively small tires and 2wd. I would guess the previous owner had the tires filled for a reason, I would use as is first before draining and see how it does with mowing.

I would also suggest installing a new air filter, lots of times these may appear to be okay but very fine particulate can restrict the air flow through it. May or may not help but atleast you will know what you have. See if this helps with your power issue.

/ John Deere 325 #5  
The rear end on the 325 is made tough enough to handle the weight. 18HP is plenty for this machine. Everyone gets hyped up on 20+ HP LAWN tractors, but truth be told, that power never gets to the ground on most as the trans are the weakest link. Unles you have a 54" deck and mow wet, heavy grass, you won't have any worries.

SAE 30 probably won't hurt it, but I always run what the manual recommends. :)

/ John Deere 325
After reading the threads so far I may just drain the 30w out and put 10w-30 Castro oil in it as easy as it is to do. Also I may try the extra weight for a while. Is Castro oil a good oil to use as I have used it for years in all my vehicles with no problems (a couple have over 300000 miles) Would 10w-30 or 10w-40 be best as where I live it doesn't get super cold. (Virginia) I live about a two hour drive from a JD dealer and that is to far to drive unless I have to. I am having a hard time finding the J20D rear end oil and may have to make a trip to the dealer to get. Thanks for the help.

/ John Deere 325 #7  
Regarding the J20D oil, I switched both my 355 and 2210 trannies/hydraulics over to the AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil "ATH". It meets both the J20C & J20D specs. Been running the 2210 this way for 8 years and the 355 for 4 years with no problems. I just order it online and it magically shows up at my door 2-3 days later.

/ John Deere 325 #8  
I have always used 30W in all the small engines I have ever owned and have never had any trouble engine block compression oil usage wise. Also I noticed on the lid to the box on the mower that this was acceptable if you were operating above 32 degrees, so that was the reason.

I own a JD 345 which is about the same as your 325 except the 345 has a 20HP Kawasaki liquid cooled engine. I too run Castrol 30W oil in it and have been for all the years I've owned it since I bought it new in '99. I also use 30W oil in all my small air cooled engines. I live in northeast TX and use the 345 with a 54" mower only to mow about an acre of grass in the hot summer months and has between 500 and 600 hours on the clock. I maintain about 10 acres around our house, but the rest of the mowing is done with my Kubota tractor and a finish mower.

Bill