425 or GT275

/ 425 or GT275 #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
One of the two machines below would be used to occasionally clear a portion of my camp driveway of snow in the winter (once a month or so). I use an IH Cub Lo-Boy to plow the majority of it, but there is a creek between the two portions that can't be crossed in the winter (there is a footbridge). One of the two machines below would be used in the summer for trim mowing. I currently have a 2001 JD Sabre 1742HS with 130 hrs that I would sell.

1999 425 with ~750 hrs, 54" deck, 54" blade, rear wheel weights, bar tires (worn), and chains. Appears to be in good shape. $3700
OR
1997 GT275 with unknown hours, 48" deck, 42" blade, chains. Good shape. $1600.

Both machines would cut grass fine. My dilemma is how much difference would there be in snow plowing (yes, I realize the plow width and hyd lift/angle on 425)? Will there be a GREAT difference in plowing ability (of course, weights would be added to the GT275)?

/ 425 or GT275 #2  
By far, get the 425.
You will be glad you did, and it will be an investment that you can get back at anytime. They are solid tractors.

/ 425 or GT275 #3  
Agree with other posters,
that 425 is a much heavier machine,
and also has the rear diff lock which
will make it a better snow machine.
also, it comes with hydraulic lift, power
steering, tilt wheel, liquid cooling, cruise control,
guess you could say it's fully loaded!

the 425 will also has full hydraulic
down pressure that you don't get on the
GT, makes a big difference pushing hard
packed snow with the blade

:D

/ 425 or GT275 #4  
I have both of those machines. Those are both great machines at pretty good prices. Have you got a need for hydraulics? You pay a big premium if you don't need it. If the 425 had the 47 snowblower it would be hard to resist.

Chris

/ 425 or GT275 #5  
I think 1999 is beyond the plastic timing gear issue which would be a big plus on the 425.

Chris

/ 425 or GT275 #6  
I have only used the 54 plow on my 425 once because as the local dealer says "The 47 snowblower is all the snow equipment you need" so I can't really tell you much about how it plows, I did use the 275 to clean up 6" to 8" drifts in the farm driveway. With bar tires and no weight and the 48" plow it struggled to move the drifts. I got it done but it was work. I think turfs and chains would be better. Plenty of weight would help.

Chris

/ 425 or GT275
Thanks all for the advice! I ended up buying the 425. Will post more info and an interesting video this evening.

/ 425 or GT275
So, Saturday morning, I got up and drove north to my camp (about 1.5 hr). Of course, here in Pittsburgh, there is practically no snow. 1.5 hrs north, there was about a foot. 8" of heavy, wet snow and 4" of packed ice/snow underneath. Anyhow, I got all that off of the truck and took off the cap - a chore. I hope by fall I will have a building built to store the truck (barn is full and on the other side of the creek). Loaded up the ramps and straps and I was off to Ohio.

About 2.5 hrs later and I was back with a 1999 JD 425, ag tires, chains, weights, 54" mower and 54" blade. The tractor has 782 hours. Asked 3700, got it for 3500.

The machine has some flaws: Corner of hood is cracked. Black trim on hood near dash is loose and rattles (can fix with some superglue). One of the tabs holding on a side panel is broken off. Skids and blade edge need to be replaced. Seat is loose - it seems the holes where the bolts for the seat pivot are are wallered out. Not sure if there are bushings there or not?

I tried plowing some snow, but was not overly impressed. The machine needs more weight - the 55lb wheel weights don't cut it. Of course, the type of snow I was trying to push is not common. Any suggestions on a weight box?

Mower deck appears to be in good shape - new blades and mulching provisions.

Oil in engine and transmission was clean, but will change both this spring when all my machines get their annual oil change.

Everything needs a good washing and waxing, and perhaps some touch-up paint (on the mower deck). Must get warmer first!

The attached video will show the machine and how we had to get it to the barn for storage. The creek, during late spring/summer/fall is usually 6" and can be crossed by auto, but - it's winter. Had to drive the tractor across the footbridge.

I had to use the IH Cub Lo Boy to plow the drive from the barn to the bridge (which is all downhill) Since the JD 425 couldn't plow uphill from the bridge to the barn.

Enjoy...

YouTube - John Deere 425 - Winter Arrival

Last edited:
   / 425 or GT275 #10  
When I had similar problems with my blade. I was able to turn the blade edge over top to bottom amd get more life out of it. I also welded wider steel to the bottoms of the feet to help it float better on my gravel drive. I think I used 1 1/2 inch wide flatstock and bent the front edge up in a vice. Congratulations on the new tractor. I was voting for the 425 too.