318 electrical issue?

/ 318 electrical issue? #1  

Napi

Tractor
Kubota M6800 4x4, ZD326, JD140
I had to take the Onan engine apart for a $1.89 cam thrust washer. Replaced cam bearings while in there. Now, after putting it back on the tractor more issues. To begin with I decided to fire it before I put all the covers and hood and stuff back on. With the engine bolted down, I sprayed a shot of ether in the carb and hit the switch. She fired right up for about 2 second

After bolting on other stuff and hooking up gas line a few days later, I don't have a spark at the plugs. I have power at the points, the center lug going to the regulator and the positive side of the coil.

Now, yesterday it wouldn't even turn over. I still have power in the same places. I even tried jumping the solenoid, nothing. It will turn by wrench on the crank like it should. I do notice a single blade black wire coming from the hour meter that is not hooked. The other black wire is hooked to the meter and it works when the switch is on. It's almost like 2 different problems. Electrical is my weakness on these things.

Any ideas? How can I check the ignition switch, coil and condensor? I put an ohm meter on the coil with it unhooked. The needle jumps when place on the + and - sides of the coil and when placed in each plug hole at the same time. I don't get anything when checked from the + or - to either plug hole. I never checked a 2 plug coil before.

Thanks for any help! Nathan

/ 318 electrical issue? #2  
I would make sure ALL your grounds are good.
Do a quick ohm check between the engine block and the negative battery post.

/ 318 electrical issue? #3  
I would start by looking at the fuses. I was helping a neighbor re-install the engine on an old Wheel Horse, some how we blew a fuse. Spent several hours head scratching before we finally got around to checking the fuses.

/ 318 electrical issue?
OK, I worked on it a little more over the weekend. I don't have internet at home. As it sits now, I can connect the 3 purple wires and touch them to the red/green and red/pink wires and it will fire up. But when connected to the switch I get nothing. I suspected a bad switch. I took a switch off another 318 parts tractor and get the same results. I guess both could be bad???

I wonder if something in the safety circuit could be causing this? Both the switches have continuity between the lugs for the red/pink and red/green wires when switched on. And they have continuity between the 2 lugs for the purple/purblk and purple wires when turned to start.

Because I can get it to run momentarily when jumping the switch, I don't think a fuse or ground is the problem.

Any more ideas?