Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728 #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
How hard would it be for an older person (not totally feeble!) to remove and install the subframe for the snowblower on the JD X728 or similar model? - Thanks!

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728 #2  
I have a similar sized John Deere Model 455. Basically, the X700 Series is the newest model of that chassis sized tractor. I can tell you that my wife can hook up the snowblower to my tractor. Now granted, she is an exceptional wife and I have had her for 27 yrs, but the John Deere "coupling" of the snowblower to the tractor is, in my honest opinion, one of the easiest I have ever seen.

Color coded hydraulic lines, two spring loaded pins and hook up the driveshaft and your done. I can do it in 2 minutes max. My wife probably 5 minutes and she doesn't want to get her hands dirty........:laughing:

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728
Thanks! I think I'm sold. Only thing easier would probably be a small skid steer, and they of course have other problems on soft ground.

Danny

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728 #4  
I'm old and I got the x728 with the hard cab, and blower, its a cake walk and way more tractor then what I thought I was getting, really love it.

08tractor.jpg

Rob

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728 #5  
Danny, I'm not ready to admit that I am feeble either but the quick attach is heavy. It doesn't have to be lifted much to attach it to the front of the tractor frame. I think that if it starts to seem too heavy it would be possible to build a small wooden dolly so you could roll it into place and flip the spring loaded pins and away you go.

Chris

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728
I want to thank everyone who posted a reply. It seems like the subframe removal and reattachment is the hardest part. I have to think ahead here, too. At my age, one doesn't really know what's ahead five years down the road. I haven't made a decision yet, but I am considering a Ventrac (Ventrac Compact Tractors & Attachments) because of its many attachments and ease of use.

Thanks again,
Danny

/ Remove/install snowblower subframe on x728 #7  
I didn't mean to discourage. To be clear the quick attach is not a sub frame. A sub frame is a secondary frame that mounts under the tractor frame and reinforces it. They are used to mount backhoes and loaders which can stress and break the tractor frame. The quick attach on the big JD garden tractors mounts to the front of the tractor frame on 2 hooks on the frame and 2 spring loaded pins. The quick attach provides up and down and left right angle. The motion comes from 2 hydraulic cylinders which hook to tractor hydraulics via hoses with quick couplers. The quick attach when hooked can pick up and lock onto the plow, the snowblower,the snowthrower or the power broom.

Chris