JD Plastic Hood

/ JD Plastic Hood #2  
You can buy them on eBay for about $300 or so.
If you're thinking of making a mold to manufacture Deere hoods, thats counterfeiting and you could be prosecuted.
Might want to reconsider that idea...

/ JD Plastic Hood #4  
For what model Deere?

/ JD Plastic Hood #5  
Bet you anything it is a 4300 or in that series. I spent about $350 a couple of years ago for one at the John Deere dealership. Doesn't include anything but the hood, no gaskets, hinges or anything. Couldn't figure out how to attach the gas cap with parts provided.

I just ordered a new grill and left side panel for my 4300 on Ebay as well to the tune of $276. Nothing but the plastic, have to transfer the other parts from the old parts, ie screens, headlights.

John Deere Junk with a premium price.

/ JD Plastic Hood #6  
swinny
What did you drop on it? ;)

I dropped a tree on my 4300 hood and it didn't do any more than scratch it. I don't see it as John Deere Junk.

Now if that hood would have been metal, I'd have a huge dent to look at. :)

/ JD Plastic Hood #7  
i bought the tractor new in 2000. I didn't drop anything on it. Actually I think it is just rotted due to exposure since it wasn't always stored inside.

The hood went first, replaced that. Now the grill locks and the plastic on bottom of the grill are broken, the left side panel is broken. Ordered the replacement grill and side panel off Ebay, not delivered yet. The cowling is cracked, the latch broke off the fuse box door in the cowling. Seems like very poor quality material for name like John Deere. Don't believe they would selling replacement parts on Ebay if this wasn't a major problem. Metal can be painted if it gets weathered and dents repaired for a few bucks. Plastic is shot when it breaks.

On top of that, a bearing in the hydraulics broke under 500 hours. Took out the hydraulic pumps. John Deere wouldn't pay the bill. after much discussion by the dealer, they finally furnished parts, I still had an $1800 labor bill with discount. The electronic fuel pump went out. the HST transmission will now hardly pull itself up a small hill while mowing the yard.

The dealer switched to Kubota due partly to these problems.

I'm going with Kioti now. Wish I could afford a new one since they have 4yr warranty. At least the metal is good on the 2000 model I just bought, no rust even.

/ JD Plastic Hood #8  
swinny1947
I've had my 4300 since 1998 (new issue) and have had zero issue with normal use. Did have a tab break (think it was a dealer mechanic that wasn't careful removing all the fasteners when changing out the fogged instrument panel) that I repaired with fiberglass.
And I don't believe that they rot.
But hope you are happier with the Kioti now. :)

Haven't heard back from the OP as to what the model he/she has with problems.

/ JD Plastic Hood #9  
JD plastic hoods are very strong. What I don't like about them is their heavy weight. I dropped a number of very big pieces of timber from the fully raised FEL bucket while I was trying to drive around a very tight turning with no room to spare anywhere. It happened so suddenly I wasn't able to do anything about it. It left marks on the hood as some places were permanently compressed, but it's very difficult to see them unless you have been told. The hood still looks very good and works perfectly.

Attachments

• DSCF3049 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3049 (Copier).JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 407
  • DSCF3062 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF3062 (Copier).JPG
    219.5 KB · Views: 363