JD LX277 Runs Poorly / Carb Fuel Solenoid

/ JD LX277 Runs Poorly / Carb Fuel Solenoid #1  

ttkeeler

Bronze Member
A few days back I started up the JD LX277 and was pulling the lawn roller around and it just died like it had ran out of fuel, it had been running great up to that point. I first suspected a plugged fuel filter, checked that not a problem. I then thought maybe a fuel pump problem but had never saw or messed with a fuel pump that looked like this one. After some education I found out there is a fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl that could be the problem. Checked for voltage to the solenoid wire and had over 13V. Since I couldn't hear it clicking with the ignition key turned on and off I removed and hooked it directly to a battery and the pin didn't move. I had read in another site that you can remove the solenoid and replace it with a bolt, which I did and now it does start and run but lopes and surges. It will actually run a little smoother if I choke it a bit. I removed the air filter so I could see better and the surge is matching the fuel spray I can see into the carb. Any idea's on what to look at next? Does the needle from the solenoid meter the fuel at all or just open and close the fuel flow? If its a fuel pump problem I may just get a small electric pump from the auto parts store and put that in.

/ JD LX277 Runs Poorly / Carb Fuel Solenoid #2  
The fuel solenoid on the carb should only allow the fuel to enter the carb, and replacing this with a bolt "should not" impact the operation. But since it has I would get a new solenoid. You should be able to unscrew this from the carb and switch on the igniton and the pin should retract.

The other thing I found out as I was working the neighbors JD with a B&S 17HP engine which was hard starting then would die after a while was the valves were way out of adjustment and the fuel tank breather was plugged with dirt.

The trick to prime these vacuum fuel pumps is to pressurize the gas tank (cloth over the fuel inlet and blow for like 10 sec) as this primes the system. Once I cleared the vent on the gas tank and adjusted the valves it ran perfectly.

The surging you describe if you choke it means you either have a fuel priming/delivery issue or a vacuum leak in the fuel line, or possibly a fuel float / seat issue.

I would pressurize the tank as above, then if the surging continues then dissaemble the carb (get a rebuild kit first) and rebuild it.

/ JD LX277 Runs Poorly / Carb Fuel Solenoid
The fuel solenoid on the carb should only allow the fuel to enter the carb, and replacing this with a bolt "should not" impact the operation. But since it has I would get a new solenoid. You should be able to unscrew this from the carb and switch on the igniton and the pin should retract.

The other thing I found out as I was working the neighbors JD with a B&S 17HP engine which was hard starting then would die after a while was the valves were way out of adjustment and the fuel tank breather was plugged with dirt.

The trick to prime these vacuum fuel pumps is to pressurize the gas tank (cloth over the fuel inlet and blow for like 10 sec) as this primes the system. Once I cleared the vent on the gas tank and adjusted the valves it ran perfectly.

The surging you describe if you choke it means you either have a fuel priming/delivery issue or a vacuum leak in the fuel line, or possibly a fuel float / seat issue.

I would pressurize the tank as above, then if the surging continues then dissaemble the carb (get a rebuild kit first) and rebuild it.

Pressurizing the tank like you mentioned is how I checked to see if the fuel filter was plugged or not. I will give it another try and see if pressurizing the tank fix's the problem. I was trying to get over the sticker shock of the price on the fuel solenoids before going that route...$135 is the least expensive I can find which seems kind of ridiculous.

/ JD LX277 Runs Poorly / Carb Fuel Solenoid #4  
Cut the rod off of the solenoid then reinstall it. When the engine is running the solenoid is charged and the rod should be retracted. When the rod is extended fuel flow is cut off. When I bought my LX279 the solenoid rod was cut. The only downside I can see is an occasional backfire when turning it off. I have a new solenoid on the shelf but have yet to install it. If your bolt is too long it will block fuel flow.

I was having similar problems when I bought my LX279. I started at the tank cleaning the fuel systema and replacing fuel hoses and filter working my way to the carb. I ran a lot of sea foam through it. The sea foam improved things. When I almost thought I had it working the fuel pump started squirting fuel onto the exhaust. I replaced the pump and it has worked great since.

Cut the rod off of the solenoid then reinstall it. When the engine is running the solenoid is charged and the rod should be retracted. When the rod is extended fuel flow is cut off. When I bought my LX279 the solenoid rod was cut. The only downside I can see is an occasional backfire when turning it off. I have a new solenoid on the shelf but have yet to install it. If your bolt is too long it will block fuel flow.

I was having similar problems when I bought my LX279. I started at the tank cleaning the fuel systema and replacing fuel hoses and filter working my way to the carb. I ran a lot of sea foam through it. The sea foam improved things. When I almost thought I had it working the fuel pump started squirting fuel onto the exhaust. I replaced the pump and it has worked great since.

I found out on another forum that the rod on the solenoid sometimes will not retract when removed for testing w/o tapping the end of the rod, sure enough that was the case with this one so I reinstalled. It now clicks with the cycling of the ignition key and the engine runs but is still surging. My next move is to pick up an electric fuel pump and bypass the stock one and see if that helps. The way its spraying the fuel into the carb its like the fuel pump isn't putting out a steady pressure. Will any off the shelf electric fuel pump at the auto parts store suffice or will they provide too much pressure and flood the carb? I tried pressurizing the tank as suggested and that didn't seem to make any difference. Think I will change the fuel filter and add a manual fuel shut off.

/ JD LX277 Runs Poorly / Carb Fuel Solenoid #6  
I bought the factory fuel pump. I believe I paid around $130 for it. The lx279 fuel pumps are known to fail and spray fuel on the exhaust. The current model has an extra hose to route fuel around the exhaust when it fails. The original model did not have this. There was a rumor of a recall and then a discounted replacement program. I could not get a JD dealer to offer anything less than current retail prices.

Does your LX277 have a 17 HP water cooled Kawasaki?

Does the fuel pump look like this ?

John Deere Replacement Fuel Pump Assembly - LG808656

I bought the factory fuel pump. I believe I paid around $130 for it. The lx279 fuel pumps are known to fail and spray fuel on the exhaust. The current model has an extra hose to route fuel around the exhaust when it fails. The original model did not have this. There was a rumor of a recall and then a discounted replacement program. I could not get a JD dealer to offer anything less than current retail prices.

Does your LX277 have a 17 HP water cooled Kawasaki?

Does the fuel pump look like this ?

John Deere Replacement Fuel Pump Assembly - LG808656

Mine has the 17 HP Kawasaki but its air cooled. Yes that is the fuel pump, I found what looks like the same pump for $10.25 on Amazon.com. The local JD dealer wants $31.45 plus shipping unless I drive 30 miles each way to pick it up and it doesn't appear they have it in stock anyway. Mine isn't leaking any fuel but suppose they could still go bad and not leak fuel. I hate just guessing at fixes by buying parts but don't have a lot of options. If a new fuel pump doesn't do it I guess I look at a carb kit, it looks pretty simple to rebuild.