x300 - starting & pto problem

/ x300 - starting & pto problem #11  
The reverse switch is hard to see - have someone move the reverse pedal and look for the switch - on right side of frame just behind the reverse peddal shaft. Switch on a bracket held on with a 10 MM bolt - if bolt out switch hangs and then no reverse detected so you can mow in reverse without using the RIO function:)
I found the tech manual on line for $4.95 and downloaded it. it has all the schematics and is 582 pages long - great book and price.

/ x300 - starting & pto problem #13  
I had the exact same problem. My X300 has never had a problem until last week. All of a sudden it wouldn't start. I finally figured out that if I removed the shunt ground wire from the spark plug coils the mower started but the PTO would not engage. I purchased the pdf tech manual listed in a previous post and started digging deeper. Today I found the problem and fixed it! Mine ended up being the Ignition Control Module or (A1 Interlock Module) some call it the ECU I think. I ended up following the diagnostic procedures but really if the wiring all looks good and the brake and seat switch are working just change the ICM. $68 at my local JD dealer. Oh by the way the module is under the console above the hour clock and takes a 10mm wrench. This is my first post so I'm not sure this will work but I attached a couple of wiring diagrams from the tech manual. good luck

Attachments

• x300 wiring 1.JPG
    x300 wiring 1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 51,915
  • x300 wiring 2.JPG
    x300 wiring 2.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 38,818
   / x300 - starting & pto problem #15  
Thanks for the wiring diagram. My headache was the RIO. When blowing snow I wanted the PTO to stay engaged without the ritual of pulling up on the PTO switch every time I backed up, and then when you hesitated backing up and forget to pull up on the switch before you continue your reverse you had to go through the idle down to engage PTO, then idle to full to blow snow. A jumper between wire 805 (pink wire at position 5 of connector X-6 (position e of new style)) to the headlight wire (410, yellow wire at position 11(position G of new style)) should bypass said function when the headlights are ON. With headlights OFF RIO operates normally, which gives you the choice from the operators seat. All other safety features are intact for the PTO, and I would recommend removing the jumper during mower use.

/ x300 - starting & pto problem #16  
I would not do this ,( I'm a small engine repair / shop owner, ) you will overload the ignition switch and melt the internal workings. If you must bypass the rio/rip switch do this . With the tractor off pull up the pto switch all the way into the re. mode and measure the distance between the under side of the switch and the base. then cut a small piece of wood to fit. when placed under the switch it will hold the pto up in reverse mode and allow you to back up without hold the switch up .

/ x300 - starting & pto problem #17  
Our X304 had a similar starting problem. Before purchasing a replacement interlock module, I removed it and cleaned the contacts with electronic contact cleaner and re-assembled. Now it starts like new. In JD's defense, they had used dielectric grease on the joint, but it had only been applied to the middle contacts.

PS Thanks for the RIO switch location. I have to mow almost 5% of my yard in reverse, so that makes my life much easier.