All wheel steering JD 455

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Other than shorter turning radius are there any other advantages or disadvantages to AWS in the different seasons? Are the rear axles as strong? Does the steering linkage stay tight?
Thanks.....Casey

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #2  
I wouldn't have anything other than the AWS. Have had them since 1996.
I've heard of them getting loose, but no problems.
What application that you are worried the rear axles are strong?

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #3  
I compared my AWS to the matching 2WS and found both to be well built so I don't think there is any inherent weekness to the AWS.

The one thing to remember is with the AWS a loader is not recommended but some on this forum have retrofitted the loaders to fit.

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #4  
I think the AWS is just cool so that is one advantage. For normal use (mowing and snowblowing) I don't think the AWS axle is a disadvantage but for heavy duty work it probably is weaker. I find that the AWS feels kind of weird with the snowblower. I had to replace the steering linkage rod that connects the front and the back steering at around 800 hours but it was no big deal.

Chris

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #5  
Also considering an AWS, only for mowing. What other non-current model John Deeres are AWS? Gas, not diesel powered.

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #6  
The 425 and the 445 were made in AWS and are both gas. The 425 is choke carb and the 445 is fuel inject.

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #7  
The 425 and the 445 were made in AWS and are both gas. The 425 is choke carb and the 445 is fuel inject.

Thanks for the info. How do they compare to the current X534 AWS?

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #8  
Shorter turning radius on the 455. Smaller tires too, I believe.

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #9  
I do a lot of trimming around trees on hills with a front wheel steer lawn tractor. In the process, I find that I will lose traction and spin the tires, even with weights on the back.

Does the 4WS get any better traction when turning circles on hills?

/ All wheel steering JD 455 #10  
Surprisingly better and I'm not exactly sure why. But very noticable when working on slopes. Turning up a hill is where I notice it the most. Front only steer on previous tractor would cause the uphill rear wheel to lose traction, but the AWS seems to swing the rear end down hill just enough to maintain traction.
If you have a chance to try it, you will be pleasantly surprised.