GT245 belt squeal?

/ GT245 belt squeal? #1  

sgoldste01

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere GT245
I have a GT245 with the 54C deck. When I first engage the PTO, I hear what sounds to me like a brief belt squeal as the blades spin up. The squeal only lasts for a fraction of a second, and then I don't hear it again until the next time I engage the PTO.

My guess is that this indicates my primary belt (M143019) is wearing out/glazing.

Does the forum agree with my diagnosis?

Thanks!

/ GT245 belt squeal? #2  
Not a problem, as something is starting from a dead stop to "go". Prolly a new belt will do the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it (but could have a belt on hand for when that time comes ;) )

/ GT245 belt squeal? #3  
Try lowering the rpm's before engaging the mower drive. Might help and will increase the life of the belt and clutch.

/ GT245 belt squeal?
Hmmm, I thought I've read that the tractor tends to stall if the engine isn't at wide open throttle when you engage the PTO.

/ GT245 belt squeal? #5  
I had a car with a squeaky belt and they used to sell this spray that I would spray on it when it acted up. I assume this would work on a Lawn mower as well. It was a couple of bucks at Wal-Mart or an auto parts store.

/ GT245 belt squeal? #6  
My gt235 48" deck has never squealed going on 350 hrs+ on original belt.
Now next time I use it,it'll probably snap and get all tangled up in deck. :laughing:

Boone

/ GT245 belt squeal?
My gt235 48" deck has never squealed going on 350 hrs+ on original belt.
Now next time I use it,it'll probably snap and get all tangled up in deck. :laughing:

Boone

My GT245 is older than yours (520 hours), and has a 54" deck (more blade mass to spin up), and has a bigger engine. I'm guessing these factors are conspiring to make mine squeal even though yours hasn't yet. I believe this is the original belt too.

I'm thinking of throwing a new belt onto it, and keeping the old one as a spare.