John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #1  

Ron Williams

Tractor
John Deere 260
All of the sudden the belt that runs the PTO to the deck started throwing the belt off. Bought a new one and it got destroyed within 5 minutes of cutting. Anyone know what's going on here?

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #2  
If you have been sharpening blades a lot it could be they are out of balance. Had that issue last year with a CC 1045, a new set of blades solved the problem.

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #3  
Make sure the belt routing is correct and check for bent or loose belt guides along the belt travel path.

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass
I just installed new blades. The problem was there before I did that. I will investigate the routing. Thanks for the help!

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #5  
Look closely at alignments. And with the belt off, check everything for bad bearings.

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #6  
All of the sudden the belt that runs the PTO to the deck started throwing the belt off. Bought a new one and it got destroyed within 5 minutes of cutting. Anyone know what's going on here?

Be sure to use a genuine JD belt. They are made to a slightly different spec. than a general replacement that is available at a parts store. This is important for the correct operation.
Good luck,
Ken

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #7  
check bearings on the pulleys and spindles and alighnment of tension pulleys, is your deck clean underneath and not hanging blades causing belt slippage_ let us know how you make out-------------

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass #8  
My dad just had the same problem with his 240. Turned out to be a bad bearing on one of the deck pullleys. The pulley had gotten hot and the metal deformed enough to cause the belt to wear very rapidly.

/ John Deere 260 Eating Belt While Cutting Grass
I think I have this figured out. I took advice on buying a JD belt instead of an after wrist and that helped. I also replaced the deck wheels since they appeared to be getting some play. Once I removed them they were wore out. Belt has not fallen off since. Thanks for the help!