any issues with the K58 transmission?

/ any issues with the K58 transmission? #1  

Jeff56

Tractor
John Deere X324
Some people on anther board tried to lead me to believe that the K58 transmissions (like the one on my JD X324) are problematic. I'm still within my 30 days on this mower and I really don't want to take it back. But a lot of people were putting down this mower on that other board. I felt they were "Tim The Tool Man" types who think "needs more power" is a motto to live by. They insisted that people should buy the 500 series JD for mowing. A similar model (with 4WS) would cost me an extra $3000 and I don't see paying that much for a mower. I've had my other JD for 17 years and it works fine actually but it's showing it's age and needs some repair work. But it's all small stuff except possibly the deck needs replaced. I could certainly fix it up for far less than the $4300 I paid for my new JD.

So my question is should I take back the X324 and just fix up the old mower which has served me well for 17 years or should I keep the new mower counting on it to last me until I'm too old to mow?

/ any issues with the K58 transmission? #2  
I see alot of tractors come and go at the dealer that i work at. I have yet to see or hear about any problums with the hydro transmission. The onlt common problum that i know of is that the trans pully strips, but the pully is made from a softer metal than the input shaft on the trans so usually is a simple and inexpensive repair. There is a plastic cooling fan on top of the trans that you will want to keep clean(dont let grass and dirt build up). I think you will be very happy with this tractor.

/ any issues with the K58 transmission? #3  
Some people on anther board tried to lead me to believe that the K58 transmissions (like the one on my JD X324) are problematic.
Must a been my tractor forums?
Get the 324 and enjoy the heck out of it.
Just keep the maintenance up and use the mower for what it was intended for. you will be fine.
Some of them dip turds on that site like spending other peoples money:thumbdown:

/ any issues with the K58 transmission?
Mark you nailed it exactly. Immediately after posting that I had bought the 324 I was told I should have upgraded. Why? "Because it's a beast" is one answer I saw to someone else in my same situation. Then when I said that wasn't an answer they didn't like it at all. Probably 7 people in a row told the other guy to upgrade without a single reason why. I think I've found a much better source of information now.

/ any issues with the K58 transmission? #5  
Jeff, what makes me laugh my a*s off is, you will get the X500 series guys telling you to up grade, duhhhh.OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Really.OLOLLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
And then, you get the X700 series guys laughing at the X500 series guys, as if they didn't buy enough mower.OLLOOLOLOLLOOLOLOL
By the way, I had a top spindle/pulley replaced on my deck, at about the 40 hour mark, was under warranty, it sure made a roar when I engaged the blades, now it is quiet as a mouse:D
Not sure what pulley, but it was on the top, not underneath the deck.

/ any issues with the K58 transmission?
That's exactly what I thought Mark. I asked them why they weren't mowing with a 9030. I said it had a lot more power than the 7030 and that you didn't need to worry about obstacles like houses. You could just mow them down too. :D They deleted my posts for some reason. That place is "Tim The Tool Man Taylor" from wall to wall. They probably have "needs more power" tatoos. If they had put that tatoo on their head I'd probably agree with them. ;)