LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #1  

consdad

Tractor
John Deere LT 160
I have a John Deere LT 160 with the Freedom 42 mulching deck. (The deck where the blades spin into each other on a timing belt). I purchased the machine from the dealer with less than 5 hours on it and picked up a blade kit for snow removal. It now has 255 hours. I maintain it myself and have been happy with it until this season. It is cutting terrible. The grass looks chewed and clumpy; a patch is left down the middle. Even a double cut doesn稚 really clean everything up. So I have done the following trying to address the issue.

Step 1 Re-sharpen the blades (Failure)

Step 2 Buy new blades (Failure)
Step 3 Check the blades, did I screw up and install them correctly? Nope, I passed on this one.

Step 4 (maybe should have been step 1.5) Check the timing. I am a genius!!!!! The timing is off. One blade is at about a 45 to the other, not the required 90. So I reset the time, I am ready to go! I don稚 get 10 feet and the blades are hitting each other!!! What in the world happened? (Failure)

Step 4.5 Lots of mumbling, words I can稚 type in a public forum, and a few buckets kicked in the garage. (This I categorized as a success for frustration venting. My toes can still feel the buckets)

Step 5 I reset the timing again. This time rather than put the deck back I turn it on its side. Double check to make sure everything is at a 90 like it should be. Maybe I messed up step 4. Everything looks good, I am not as big of an idiot as I thought given the results of step 4. I turn one blade by hand, which also turns the other. I do this for just a few second and notice one is turning faster than the other. I can noticeably see it. After about 15 to 20 rotations, I致e got the blades hitting each other again. I keep spinning and they stop hitting, and then eventually start again. I知 on to something now! But what? I take off the timing belt and turn each blade individually. I don稚 hear grinding, they appear to spin without issue independently. There isn稚 any play with the spindles.

Step 6 - Hire the neighbor kid to cut the grass this week.

And this is why I am writing for help.

I知 looking for ideas. My dealer, the one I have purchased this machine and EVERY thing that has ever gone into it or on it from, won稚 give me any without a $75.00 bench fee. I don稚 mind paying for a fair service, but they seemed to act like they knew what the issue was. Any ideas will be appreciated. I知 worried I知 in the market for a new deck, but thought I better double check.

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #2  
Is it possible to have a broken key, or strippedpulley mount. Thatis where I would be looking.

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #3  
:welcome:
Don't give up. You must be getting close to finding out why the timing belt skips out of time. When you find out, let us know too.
Drop in to see your Deere dealer for a chat, and drop it off there or find out what is likely the problem.
Any dirt or debris in the teeth of one spindle?

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #4  
teeth missing on belt or sprocket? broken keyway on sprocket

belt tension / stretched belt?

Stripped blade hub or splines on spindle?

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #5  
Wow, I can't believe someone else is having the exact same problem that I was having, on the same weekend. I just replaced the timing belt, but like you, couldn't get the blades to stay out of each other's way. I (finally) found something that works for me. It appears that the tension needed to be much higher than I thought the manual said it should be, mostly because of the 'do not overtighten' warnings. The tension nut (or the washer under it that I don't have), needs to be flush with the spring casing, not the spring. I was doing it to the spring, not the housing. Once I tightened it down that far, I was off and running! Just finished mowing the lawn for the first time in a couple weeks. Looks like a hay field!

Last edited:
   / LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting
I have been out of town so I apologize for the delay. In the mean time the kids who live around me made a small four tune mowing my lawn. Anyway, thank you all for the help. Mosh yours hit it on the head. I was afraid of over tightening, thus not tightening enough. I put the deck back together last night and mowed without issues. I am so relieved. I was worried I was in the market for a new deck.

I am once again amazed at the power of forums. The response to my one post generated a fine variety of ideas in an effort to help, and hopefully will help others in the future. It is so disappointing my local dealer wouldn't spend five minutes talking through the issue with me to give me a few ideas to look into before bringing it in.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #7  
Glad to hear that it worked for you consdad - it was a rough 2 days for me trying to figure this out!

And agree about the web and forums being such a great resource!

Mark

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #8  
I have been out of town so I apologize for the delay. In the mean time the kids who live around me made a small four tune mowing my lawn. Anyway, thank you all for the help. Mosh yours hit it on the head. I was afraid of over tightening, thus not tightening enough. I put the deck back together last night and mowed without issues. I am so relieved. I was worried I was in the market for a new deck.

I am once again amazed at the power of forums. The response to my one post generated a fine variety of ideas in an effort to help, and hopefully will help others in the future. It is so disappointing my local dealer wouldn't spend five minutes talking through the issue with me to give me a few ideas to look into before bringing it in.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

The John Deere engineer that thought up the idea of timing your mower blades with a belt should be hung up by his testicles.

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #9  
The John Deere engineer that thought up the idea of timing your mower blades with a belt should be hung up by his testicles.

How do you know that it wasn't a woman?

/ LT160 w/Freedom 42 - Bad Cut, Blades now hitting #10  
How do you know that it wasn't a woman?

A woman would have left the blades 1" shorter on each side to make sure they wouldn't hit each other. :laughing: