Thinking of upgrading from my 455

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #1  

KennedyDiesel

Veteran Member
Looking at the 740 or 744 to replace my 455. I really can't knock the 455 it's been awesome. The 54" deck has managed to do the job, but does a mediocre job unless everything is perfect.

So my questions:

1) Looking for comments on 4 wheel steer with snow removal and tiller installed. I'd like the 4ws for mowing, but am concerned about it being too goofy to operate with tiller or blower/blade.

2) has anyone made this change or simialr and had any regrets?

3) Is the 647 tiller as good as my 450? Are the specs correct that the 647 is narrower than my 50" spec'd 450 unit?

4) Does the mower max cut height spec truly vary from 2ws to 4ws models? The 4ws appears to limit maxt cut height. We have horse pasture that we like to mow tall to level out. The 2ws is spec'd at 5.25 where the 4ws is 4.5" It doesn't sound like much difference, but can mean a lot when mowing forage grass.

5) Has anyone experienced my displeasure with the older 54" mowers doing a poor job in tall heavy grass and strriping when turning? Is the new deck truly all it's cracked up to be?

I ordered my 1996 model 455 new and never tested one. This time I am wiser and will be demoing a unit close to what I want before I buy, but there is only so much one can learn in a test drive.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #2  
Looking at the 740 or 744 to replace my 455. ...................................

5) Has anyone experienced my displeasure with the older 54" mowers doing a poor job in tall heavy grass and strriping when turning? Is the new deck truly all it's cracked up to be?

I ordered my 1996 model 455 new and never tested one. This time I am wiser and will be demoing a unit close to what I want before I buy, but there is only so much one can learn in a test drive.

My experience has been moving from the 54" deck to a 54C deck on an X485. Negative results. I went back to the 455 with the 54" deck. When they are adjusted right with sharp blades, I don't think they can be beat for lawn cut. And 12-15" grass is not much of a challenge to this deck and the 455 (wasn't much more with my 425 and 445 either, and all are AWS).

So be careful moving away from your 455 and 54" deck, I say. ;)

As to the AWS on blade, broom, or snow blower....not a negative there either. In fact, all positive as easier to position the blower, broom, and blade. The 455 with AWS has smaller tires than the 2 WS. The design of the AWS on the X series is different and accomodates larger tires (better ride and may allow the deck to raise more, although I don't seem to see that with the X485).

I'll admit to no experience with the 740 or 744.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #3  
I recently bought an X729 (gas, AWD, AWS) with 54X deck. No complaints about mowing capability. This will cut tall, thick grass. Maximum deck height could be better and may not meet your requirements.

Does it work to run your 3720 in the pasture? A rear or mid-mount finish mower on the 3720 would give you more clearance. You could use your 455 to clean up any remaining patches. Or you could get a small RFM for the 455, but that seems less useful.

The 455 has a great reputation and I'm not sure the 740 or 744 would be much of an upgrade. AWS (as in the 744) is nice if you have a lot of obstacles to go around or want to cut squarer corners. It doesn't help much when turning at the end of a row. I have AWS and like it but don't think it saves a lot of time for most situations.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #4  
Yes, I have driven a 4WS JD in the dealer's lot, and liked it, but wondered if it was the silver bullet some claim. I use my Siimplicity on my woods road with a cart, and to mow one area were I need to cut the grass at 5", or a bit more, and would hate to give either use up. This thread is interesting because I am also thinking about moving to a big JD. So, I'll take a seat in the corner, and listen.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455
One other question is does the 4wheel steer have low slung tie rods like the 400 series did?

As I recall, the 400's got a tire diameter downsize plus had low slung tie rods that reduced clearance significantly.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #6  
I checked the tire sizes before buying the x749 and found that the 748 and 749 both used the same 26x12/12 tires and wheels. Clearance for the linkage has not been a problem so far. I would assume this is common to the x740 and x744 too.

While the aws is great for tight manuevering the decision to buy it should be based on need. It does handle differently imo, but is great for my applications in close quarters with lots of trees. I find it particularly nice and intuitive when backing up threading between the trees. Running next to a border or wall without turning into it requires more practice compared to a 2ws.

So far I am very satisfied with the x749 overall.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455
Yeah I think the 4ws would require some serious test time. She's not one to like things that are "different" and she's running the mower a lot more than I am. We have quite a few trees and curves etc to mow around so it would be nice, but then again we lived without it this long.

I like the equal turning radius from side to side where the 455 only turns tight to the left. I like the low and compact nature of the 455, but dislike the cut of the 54" deck on heavy grass.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #8  
My X729 AWS cuts a tighter circle than the much smaller 2WS LT180 (X300 size). Going from a 2WS 455 to a 744 should be a big difference in turning capability.

The 54X deck has exceeded my expectations in cutting tall, thick grass. And this was a big concern for me. Not sure how different the 54X is from your 54" deck. I do wish the deck would raise an inch or two higher.

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #9  
Hi

I have both a Deere X744 and a Deere 455, both with AWS. I really love having the AWS on both tractors. I have the 48C deck on the X744, and it does a nice job cutting grass, but the 60" deck on the 455 spreads the grass better. Although the 62C deck on my 2305 Deere as well, spreads the grass well.

I have a 48" deck for my 455 Deere as well, and used it a few times, but was never quite satisfied with the quality of cut with it. I really love the 60" deck on the 455, and in my opnion would not run either the 48" or 54" deck on the 455, unless you don't need that big of a deck. With the AWS on my 455 with the 60" deck, I can manuver into tight spaces and cut areas that I used to be able only do with a smaller sized deck.

Just my 2 cents though.

Jason B

/ Thinking of upgrading from my 455 #10  
It would be hard to get a better tiller than your 450 so I would keep it and pocket the dollars for a new 647.

One of the gardens I till, the owned said that if I drove straight his potato rows would be straight. He would plant in the tracks that the depth gage feet left behind. With an AWS it takes some practice to do that! With the hydro-static power steering, the rear wheels turning on two planes and the back of the tiller 3 feet behind you, it all gets compounded when the wheel is moved the slightest bit.