mowing in reverse

/ mowing in reverse #1  

jim brady

Tractor
symplicity legacy
Does anyone no how to disconect the switch that disingages the mower deck when in reverse on a 540

/ mowing in reverse #2  
Copied from JD website:

John Deere products for homeowners: Features for X540 Multi-Terrain Tractor with 54-inch Deck

"Reverse implement option (RIO) allows mowing while backing up if deemed necessary.

Mowing while backing up is strongly discouraged.

An operator who deems it necessary and chooses to keep the mower engaged while backing up, must bring the vehicle to a stop, then lift and hold the power take-off (PTO) switch in the reverse implement position as the reverse pedal is depressed slightly. The operator can then release the PTO switch and the mower will continue to operate.

This procedure must be repeated the next time the operator chooses to keep the mower (or other PTO-operated equipment) engaged while backing up."

/ mowing in reverse #3  
jim

Can't recommend how to disconnect, but if you chase down what happens when you push the reverse pedal that causes it, then you will know how to "fix" it.

Its a lawyer thing for liability. Stupid IMO because hard to hold up on the switch to mow in reverse and also be looking back. Much easier to look back without holding up on the switch.

Mine are "fixed" as soon after the first time they shut down in reverse that I can "fix" it. :)
I don't mow with anyone else around my mower, and do a fair amount of cutting in reverse (at turns, and corners, and around trees and other objects).

This country would be in much better shape if EPA, OSHA, and the lawyers would get shipped to CHINA.

/ mowing in reverse #4  
I can see a problem with the discharge clippings, where do they all go? I can understand DJ not wanting to go there.

/ mowing in reverse #5  
I can see a problem with the discharge clippings, where do they all go? I can understand DJ not wanting to go there.

The clipping still come out the discharge chute, but they are more likely to end up in clumps.

Mowers are designed to mow efficiently when traveling forward. That does not mean the blades won't cut while the machine is traveling backwards.

/ mowing in reverse #6  
hard to hold up on the switch to mow in reverse and also be looking back.
You don't have to hold it "up" for the entire time your are backing up.
You do know that, right?

/ mowing in reverse #7  
Mark
I think that is right. I've not left it functional long enough to bother learning that technique. My bad!

/ mowing in reverse #8  
For me, I just pull up on the leaver/switch at the same time I hit the reverse peddle, and let go, as long as you are still backing up, the mower blades are still spinning, but just stop for a spit second, and try to continue, then they will stop.

/ mowing in reverse #9  
Sorry Mark.
The main reason I like the HST forward/reverse pedals is having hands free from controls. "having" to pull the switch up each time stepping on rev. pedal is not going to be my idea of enjoyable operation. Then if not done just right, the engine kills, have to push the switch in to off, put the brake on, and restart the engine. Then pull out the mower switch to engage. No no no

I remember the old days of clutch, change gears to reverse, clutch, change gears to forward, etc. etc. And the intermediate days of a hand lever for forward/reverse hydro. I'm spoiled now and the RIO isn't going to happen for me. ;)

/ mowing in reverse #10  
Then if not done just right, the engine kills,
What mower do you have that when backing in reverse, that the engine dies?